RE: [skeptical] Digest Number 166

  • The Gline
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2001
      > I think it would be nice if the general kinds of fallacies were
      > taught in school as part of a
      > critical thinking curricula

      I always thought that there should be an ongoing set of courses from grade
      school forward in this vein. Logical thinking is now a subset of computer
      programming, from the look of it -- which is a real shame, because more
      people than programmers need to know how to use logic to separate truth from
      guff.

      The unfalsifiability clauses that started this whole discussion also got me
      thinking. People who make such claims are simply trying to find a way to
      circumvent any possible attacks on a cherished belief. I don't mind someone
      who believes in God and leaves all talk of God outside the realm of logial
      proof -- it's a personal thing. But when they try to invoke logic or proof,
      then it becomes a problem for the rest of us, because it means they're
      seeking a justification, and also in some cases a sanction of their beliefs.

      This is the whole reason for that big wall between church & state in the
      first place, and every time I see someone going after that wall with
      anything from a needle to a sledgehammer, I feel well within my right to
      fight back just as aggressively. Sorry I drifted a bit off-topic there, but
      this is something I feel very strongly about.

      Serdar Yegulalp
      Editor, Windows 2000 Power Users Newsletter
      http://www.win2kpowerusers.com/
      Personal site: http://www.thegline.com