Re: [skeptical] unfalsifiability clauses

  • eric krieg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2001
      I've noticed paranormal claimants who effectively say, "only believers experienced in this claim are qualified to speak about it".

      A similarly frustrating claim is try the paranormal ability yourself, then you can prove it to yourself (my feeling is that a proper test involves an independent observer)

      There is a list of invalid reasoning syndromes including
      ad hominem - where you attack the person rather than the claim
      false dichotomy - where you wrongly imply only two solutions or explanations
      ad populum - where you imply something is true because it is widely believed.
      begging the question - where the question is not answered but restated
      post hoc ergo promptor hoc - where causation is imputed to something occurring before another.

      I think it would be nice if the general kinds of fallacies were taught in school as part of a
      critical thinking curricula

      Eric Krieg

      http://www.phact.org/e/