A fairly trivial piece of debunking

  • Eric Hamell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2001
      >From: Randy Fafie <ilovesatan@...>
      >To: Emma Acal <LADYTNT@...>, Aimee Whisler
      ><hillbillycrackhoe@...>, Alexandra Cools
      ><alexandra.c@...>, amAzing BaZZ <amazingmaniac@...>,
      >Dave Andriese <dave@...>, J-P Arie <j-p.arie@...>,
      >Tess Burigatto <tessburigatto@...>, Kylie Cammirelli
      ><meandmycaddy@...>, Carol Soderlund <casoderlund@...>,
      >Diana Castro <dianacfbcn@...>, Miguel Corchon <mcorchon@...>,
      >Paz De Los Muros <rockinhexy@...>, Gijsbert Diteweg
      ><diteweg@...>, Eric Hamell <stripey7@...>, Melissa Ferus
      ><mferus@...>, Ries Haan <rieshaan@...>, Harm Spoelstra
      ><harmshapes@...>, "Houssard, Olivier"
      ><Olivier.Houssard@...>, Julia Wuschel <Sitharda@...>,
      >Lodewijk <sirflow@...>, Manuel Lopez <meanmanuel@...>, Missy
      ><maleficent29@...>, mike Z <mikez@...>, Peter Van Vliet
      >Roelands <raymondr@...>, Rebekah <Sk8skank@...>, Sasha
      >Wingate <swingate@...>, Willy <willybop@...>
      >Subject: strange....
      >Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:11:49 +0200
      >

      >----------
      >Van: "Margarett Furtado" <datelessnight@...>
      >Datum: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:06:08 +0000
      >Aan: ilovesatan@...
      >Onderwerp: Do coincidences exist?

      Yes they do, and only selective perception makes them seem so unlikely.
      Humans are pattern-seeking animals -- "significance junkies" as Carl Sagan
      put it. In the wild it was far safer to avoid something you got sick after
      one time, even if it wasn't the real cause, than to keep eating it. So
      finding patterns was strongly selected for.

      > > This is really strange...
      > >
      > > Day of the attack = 11
      > >
      > > Date of the attack 11/9: 9 + 1 + 1 = 11

      This simply reflects the fact that in a decimal numeral system, 9 leaves any
      digit sum unaltered. Therefore the same will apply to any day in September,
      e.g., 19/9: 1 + 9 + 9 = 19.

      > > 11 of September is the 254th day of the year: 2 + 5 + 4 = 11

      For a similar reason as above, this will apply in September of any non-leap
      year, e.g., 5/9/61 was the 248th day of the year and 2 + 4 + 8 = 14 just as
      5 + 9 = 14.

      > > After the 11th of September there are 111 days till the end of the
      >year
      > >.
      > >
      > > The 'Twin Towers' - standing side by side look like the number 11

      1 + 1 + 1 = 3. Were they the Triple Towers or the Twin Towers?

      > > The first flight to hit the towers was flight number 11
      > > but there is more:
      > >
      > > The state of New York - is the 11th state.
      >
      > > New York City - 11 letters
      > >
      > > Afghanistan - 11 Letters
      > >
      > > The Pentagon - 11 Letters

      World Trade Center -- 16 letters

      > > Ramzi Yousef - 11 Letters (author of the attempt on the WTC in 1993)

      Full name is Ramzi Ahmed Yousef -- 16 letters.

      > > Flight number 11 - had 92 passengers : 9 + 2 = 11
      > >
      > > Flight number 77 - had 65 passengers : 6 + 5 = 11

      7 + 7 = 14.

      > > To end with something stronger do the next exercise:
      > > 1. open MS Word.

      Why not another piece of software? Because it wouldn't give you 11?

      > > 2. write NY (in capital letters).

      Why capitals? And why not include the C?

      > > 3. underline.

      Why underline?

      > > 4. use font size 72.

      Why that font size, of all the possibilities? 7 + 2 = 9, not 11.

      > > 5. pick font Windings.

      Why that font of all possible fonts?

      > > what do you see?

      I see someone spending a lot of time to try and find a coincidence...nay
      more, I almost certainly see a computer geek who deliberately *figured out*
      what font, font size, etc. would produce a spooky result.

      > >sinister isn't it....

      In this particular case it may be harmless enough, but such uncritical
      thinking -- pattern seeking run amok -- can sometimes have tragic
      consequences. Consider the Oklahoma City bombing,
      rationalized by right-wing conspiracy theories pieced together by the same
      kind of tenuous reasoning. I see no reason to encourage such mental habits.

      Eric Hamell

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2001
        Definitely a don't read if you are not up to humour yet, but otherwise it
        *is* pretty funny--

        Tati Ballion

        =====================

        We are all struck and shattered by the terrorist attack; some more so than
        others, some more literally than others. This infamy is truly a turning point
        in the history of America. At the very least, it will generate enough crap
        spam that, if forwarded to Third World Countries, may leave them so busy
        wondering how in the hell such a pack of idiots came to be a world power in
        the first place that they forget to blow anything else up for the rest of the
        millennium.

        Consider this list of coincidences ... what does it mean?

        The date of the attack: 9/11... 9 + 1 + 1 = 11

        Osama Bin Laden is Public Enemy #1

        The rap group Public Enemy released a song titled "911 Is A Joke"

        The number that most people dialed to report what had happened: 911

        September 11th is the 254th day of the year (and 2 + 5 + 4 = 11)

        If something cost $254, and it were being sold at an 11% discount, you
        would only pay $226.06, which is $11 less than $237.06

        After September 11th there are 111 days left to the end of the year.

        I once ate a cupcake that had 11 sprinkles on it.

        119 is the international dialing code to Iraq & Iran. ( 1 + 1 + 9 = 11),
        which has nothing to do with this immediate situation, but it sounds good.

        If you placed a trillion dollar bills end-to-end around the equator, at
        least 11 of them would sink.

        Flight #11... 92 on board --- 9 + 2 = 11; 9 x 2 = 18; 9 - 2 = 7 and 18 - 7
        = 11

        Flight #77... 65 on board --- 6 + 5 = 11; 6 * 5 = 30; 6 - 5 =1 and 41 - 30
        = 11

        Flight #77... 1977 was the year the WTC was completed

        Flight #93... 1993 was the year the WTC was last bombed

        Flight #11... 1911 was the last year that those Arab bastards last got
        along with somebody

        Nostradamus... 11 letters

        My niece is 11

        Twin Towers... standing side by side, looks like the number 11

        McDonald's "Golden Arches" upside down look like a 'W'

        The first plane to hit the towers was Flight 11

        State of New York... The 11th State added to the Union

        HeywoodJablome@...... the 11th person to flame me for spamming them

        After I finish this cigarette, I will only have 11 left

        New York City... 11 Letters

        Afghanistan... 11 Letters

        Phil Hendrie... 11 letters

        "I hate Osama!"... 11 characters

        "You snort cow"... 11 letters

        setec astronomy... 11 Letters if you leave off the last 3, and save that 3
        for later.

        Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious contains 11 of the letters found in
        'Afghanistan,' 'New York City,' 'cigarette,' 'niece,' and 'cupcake'; there is
        just one letter noticeably absent--W, who was also noticeably absent during
        most of September 11th.

        Call Cleo Now... 11 letters

        The Pentagon... 11 Letters

        The Rosebowl... 11 Letters

        George W. Bush ... 11 letters

        W... 1 letter

        Colin Powell... 11 letters

        Penn & Teller... 11 characters

        Ramzi Yousef... 11 Letters (convicted in the WTC 1993 attack)

        'Go Ram Yourself'... almost 11 letters

        World War III... 11 Letters

        World War Three... 13 Letters

        WWIII... 5 characters; 13 - 5 + 3 (from above) = 11

        Winona Ryder... 11 Letters

        We don't know WHAT these amazing coincidences mean, but they tend to support
        the idea that our whole world and its events are always connected in some
        way, that Winona Ryder might play one of the people in the movie of all this,
        and that everything we do affects everyone else in some form or another, even
        if it's only in the form of spam.

        Be good to one another.