good collection of skeptical quotes

  • eric krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2001
      the following were contributed by George C. :

      Famous Quotes

      >From "How to think about weird things" Theodore Schick, Jr and Lewis Vaughn:

      The quality of your life is determined by
      the quality of your decisions, and
      the quality of your decisions is determined by
      the quality of your reasoning.
      --- Theodore Schick, Jr and Lewis Vaughn

      Science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory was killed
      by an ugly fact. --- Thomas H. Huxley

      It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how
      and why he believes it. --- Bertrand Russell

      In days of old,
      When Knights were bold,
      And science not invented,
      The Earth was flat,
      And that was that,
      With no man discontented
      --- English Verse

      It is likely that unlikely things will happen. --- Aristotle

      To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of ignorance. --- Amos
      Bronson Alcott

      He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he
      that dares not reason is a slave. --- William Drummon

      Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr

      Everyone complains of his memory, and no one complains of his judgment.
      --- Duc Francois de La Rochefoucauld

      Believing is seeing. --- John Slader

      People everywhere enjoy believing things that they know are not true. It
      spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility
      for what they know.
      --- Brooks Atkinson

      [Spiritualists] are lacking not only in criticism but in the most elementary
      knowledge of psychology. At the bottom they do not want to be taught any
      better, but merely to go on believing. ---- Carl Gustav Jung

      ...you can't explain the unknown by appeal to the incomprehensible.
      --- Theodore Schick, Jr and Lewis Vaughn

      A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove
      anything.
      --- Friedrich Nietzsche

      One can't believe impossible things. - Alice, in Through the Looking Glass

      What we need is not the will to believe but the will to find out. ---
      Bertrand Russell

      The unity of consciousness is illusory. - Earnest R. Hilgard