VA - Skeptics Retreat/Workshop Sat/Sun May 19 & 20

  • garolds@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2001
      Annual NCAS Retreat and Workshop in near-by scenic Winchester, VA
      Sat & Sun May 19 & 20. Explore how science knows what isn't so and
      how false beliefs get perpetuated. Learn the skills of critical
      thinking to guard against the fallibility of "common sense
      reasoning".
      Registration $65 per person(*). Sponsored by the National Capital
      Area
      Skeptics. 301-587-3827 for reservations or email ncas@...
      Details at http://www.ncas.org/may2001workshop.html

      (*) $10 advanced registration discount deadline May 1
      so please MAIL your payment before May 1 to qualify

      The 2001 NCAS Workshop, May 19 & 20

      Understanding Belief - How we know what isn't so

      Why do people believe and perceive what they do? How does science
      "know" what is or isn't? What perpetuates beliefs that have no basis
      in fact? What can and should you do?

      Join NCAS in scenic Winchester, Virginia on May 19th and 20th as we
      explore these issues and more in our annual workshop. We will begin
      at
      8:30 am on the 19th and break around noon on the 20th. We'll examine
      how people arrive at their belief systems, how science works in
      practice, how false beliefs are carried through pseudohistory, the
      basics of logical reasoning, and much more.

      Registration is $55 per person before May 1 and $65 thereafter.
      Registration includes breaks on Saturday and Sunday, Saturday lunch,
      and workshop materials. Hotel accommodations at the Hampton Inn in
      Winchester (1204 Berryville Ave, Winchester VA 22601 tel.
      540-678-4000
      - Just off I81exit 315) are available through the hotel at $72 per
      night (Continental breakfast included). Recommended, but not
      required,
      advance reading: "How We Know What Isn't So" by Thomas Gilovich. Mail
      registration to NCAS 2001 Workshop Registration, PO Box 8428, Silver
      Spring, MD 20907. Call 301-587-3827 for details or email
      ncas@.... Members and non-members alike are welcome.

      If you wish to purchase Gilovich's book before the workshop, it is
      available from amazon.com for $15.95 plus shipping costs. Help
      support
      NCAS painlessly. If you use the URL below to purchase the book, NCAS
      receives a small percentage of Amazon.com's online price at no
      additional cost to you.

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0029117062/ncas

      The National Capital Area Skeptics is an independent nonprofit
      501(c)3 educational and scientific organization that promotes
      critical thinking and scientific understanding, with a focus on
      paranormal and fringe-science claims. NCAS is based in the
      Washington, Maryland, and Virginia community, where it serves as an
      advocate for science and reason, actively promoting the scientific
      method, rational inquiry, and education. More about NCAS at
      www.ncas.org