skeptic

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2000
      In other news, James Randi could use a little help for his programs.
      Contact me to get more information.

      There is now a South African Skeptics group, they send out the following
      release:

      > Text of Skeptus Press Release 01:
      >
      > NEW SOCIETY INVESTIGATES THE PARANORMAL
      >
      > Are you interested in the paranormal? Ghosts, UFOs and psychic powers? How
      > about aliens, ESP and alternative medicine? Then you may want to join
      > Skeptus, a newly formed society at the University of Stellenbosch.
      > Membership is open to students and members of the public who are open-minded
      > and interested in critically investigating claims of the paranormal from a
      > responsible and scientific point of view.
      >
      > As sceptics, we try to promote the use of science and critical thinking as
      > tools for investigating the world, explore anomalous (paranormal and
      > supernatural) claims from a responsible and scientific point of view, and
      > remain open-minded while insisting that extraordinary claims require
      > extraordinary proof. We are not cynical, “know-it-all”, “negative”,
      > hyper–critical, nor atheistic in outlook.
      >
      > On Thursday, 23rd March, at 19:00, the society will hold its first public
      > meeting. Dr Jurie van den Heever, of the Zoology Department of the
      > University of Stellenbosch, will present a talk, “What is scepticism?”, in
      > Room 2020, Natural Sciences building, US Campus (between the Gericke Library
      > and Merriman Street). After the discussion session, the broader goals of the
      > society will be considered and there will be an opportunity to become a member.
      >
      > # # #
      >
      > _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
      > | Auke Slotegraaf, 8 Forelle Crescent, Die Boord, Stellenbosch, 7600
      > | auke@... | DOC webhome at http://home.global.co.za/~auke
      > | Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time
      > | he will pick himself up and continue on. - Winston Churchill

      Eric Krieg eric@...

      http://www.phact.org/e/more.htm

      PS: I close with a good response to spontaneous human combustion claims:

      ---------------
      To the Editor:

      Rev. Curtis (Intell, 23 March) argues that creationism should be taught in
      schools.

      Here's a fact: humans and chimpanzees share over 98% of the same genetic
      code. This suggests that the DNA of both species is inherited from a common
      ancestor. In addition, more than 95% of the genome is "junk DNA" that has
      no biological purpose; and yet this junk has also been inherited.

      Creationists say that a god created human beings separately from all other
      creatures, but why would a designer make mankind with a genetic code that is
      over 95% junk in the first place? And why copy so much junk DNA from a
      supposedly unrelated ape species? If these were books, this would be
      plagiarism.

      Here's another fact: under northwestern Lancaster County , there's a mass
      of basalt over 1500 feet thick, about 20 cubic miles, which was once molten
      lava over 1,800 degrees F and which baked the surrounding sandstones. There
      is no sign that water ever ran through this lava to transfer heat away.
      Using standard physics, one can calculate that it takes millions of years
      for that much lava to cool. Can young-earth creationists explain how it
      cooled down in only 6,000 years? Scientifically, they can't.

      Centuries ago, the Church that persecuted Galileo knew he was telling the
      truth, but they suppressed his discoveries in order to maintain control and
      to 'protect' the people from a godless world. Similarly, today's
      creationists misuse scientific findings to protect their religious faith.
      This is not science, and should not be taught in the schools as such.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        a neat publication from the Texas Skeptics:
        http://www.ntskeptics.org/2001/2001january/january2001.htm

        Randi made a good point: "how come the psychics didn't warn Kennedy not to fly?"

        I usually do not take on purely religious claims. But if they come knocking on my door, then they are fair game. Feel free, anyone to respond to the following offer:

        =====================

        From: "Araq Jormungand" <araq@...>

        http://www.cyberhighway.net/~shirtail/mormonis.htm

        Would you happen to know anyone that can refute any of the evidence there?
        -- =============================

        The following are some good skeptical jokes found at:
        http://www.pathcom.com/~drewh/

        A Psychic Fair is like a sanitation department strike - until one occurs you don't realize how much garbage is out there!

        A Reflexologist told me that pressure on different parts of the foot controls blood flow to various organs in the body. I
        said, in that case shift your weight, I don't think enough blood's reaching your brain.

        I was regressed to a former life where I lived in a huge palace where I was surrounded by hundreds of naked concubines
        - unfortunately I was a eunuch!

        When TV offers us "food for thought" why is it so often junk food?

        Some Books that Prometheus missed:

        The Origins of the Specious - The roots of Creationism

        Gullibles Travels - Journeys through the world of parapsychology.

        Across The World in 80-Days - A flat earthers adventure.

        A Fortune In Men's Eyes - Get rich with Iridology.

        =======================

        Taking the Mask Off Pseudoscience
        http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/21/technology/21CRAN.html

        December 21, 2000

        By BONNIE ROTHMAN MORRIS

        ERIK MAX FRANCIS is so passionate about the theory and practice of
        modern science that in the last year alone he has posted 9,460
        messages in scores of online user groups devoted topics like
        relativity, astronomy and neuroscience.

        Mr. Francis, 29, is not a scientist, and has taken only a handful
        of classes at a community college, but he is a self-educated
        computer programmer from San Jose, Calif., who just happens to be
        comfortable, he says, discussing the theories and applications of
        mathematical physics, vector algebra and calculus.

        Ten years ago, Mr. Francis started talking online with other
        people who shared his interests. Along with lively discussions with
        the other science enthusiasts, Mr. Francis often found himself
        debating people who espoused bizarre theories that were more
        science fiction than science. The more Mr. Francis argued with
        them, the more they dug in their heels.

        Mr. Francis began thinking of these people as cranks, reasoning
        that science is an ever-evolving process, and scientists change
        their views as they make new discoveries that tear down old
        assumptions. On the other hand, "a crank has already made up his
        mind, evidence one way or another will not make him change it," Mr.
        Francis said.

        In 1996, Mr. Francis created a separate file in his computer to
        keep track of the cranks and their Web sites. In 1997, he spun off
        his quickly sprawling file into a separate domain, and dubbed it
        Crank Dot Net (www.crank.net).

        Today, Crank Dot Net is an index of about 1,000 of these sites.
        Through it, Mr. Francis performs the role of vigilante, by ranking
        and categorizing Web sites propounding pseudoscience that Mr.
        Francis says is misleading and simply ridiculous. On Crank Dot Net,
        Mr. Francis pulls a quote from each site that he feels best defines
        it, then ranks the sites as "Cranky (Downright strange), Crankiest,
        (above and beyond the normal call of the crank), and Illucid,
        (Something so beyond understanding that it defies classification)."

        Among the sites listed by Mr. Francis are ones espousing time
        travel, teleportation, alchemy, crop circles and the idea that the
        Earth is hollow. There are several sites dedicated to an old
        favorite, cold fusion, which created a sensation when it was
        announced in 1989 but now is largely dismissed by the scientific
        community.

        Initially, Mr. Francis said, he kept track of these kinds of sites
        for his own amusement, in an effort to study their abnormal
        psychology. What struck him was how television has influenced
        pseudo-science. "It's surprising to me how many scientific cranks
        think pseudoscience and technobabble are really how science gets
        done," wrote Mr. Francis in an e-mail message, blaming the thinking
        on the influence of "Star Trek."

        Mr. Francis said he had also come to believe that many people
        create their own scientific theories because they simply don't
        understand the real ones. Since math is fundamental to science and
        many people are math illiterate, he said, they simply think words
        will do. To Mr. Francis, words are simply not enough.

        Crank Dot Net's sorting and filtering function for strange stuff
        on the Web has taken on a wider import: helping site visitors see
        fallacy for what it is. To that end, Mr. Francis also lists extreme
        religions, white supremacists and hatemongers on the site, along
        with crystal healers and victims of alien abductions.

        Mr. Francis isn't the only Web vigilante out there devoted to
        pin-pointing fallacy to encourage critical thinking. Phil Plaitt,
        the Web master of Bad Astronomy started his site
        (www.badastronomy.com) devoted to exposing myths about astronomy
        because he was, he says "full of righteous fury," after watching a
        TV news reader on a national network morning show give a report on
        the space shuttle then laugh on air that he had no idea what he was
        talking about.

        "I have a passion for the rightness of science," said Mr. Plaitt,
        an astronomer and a friend of Mr. Francis. "Science works. It's a
        pretty good way to describe the universe." Mr. Plaitt suggests that
        sites like Bad Astronomy and Crank Dot Net provide a "process to
        separate the rational from the irrational."

        As the Internet expands to give every person a platform to say
        whatever he wants about the way the universe works, (a good thing,
        in both Mr. Francis's and Mr. Plaitt's view), it behooves people
        like Mr. Francis, Mr. Plaitt and the Webmaster of similar sites,
        like Quintessence of the Loon (www.ratbags.com/loon) to put them in
        context.

        In addition to the pseudoscience sites, Crank Dot Net features an
        anticrank category that lists sites "fighting crankism, debunking
        bad science and promoting logic."

        Crank Dot Net also flags sites that are parodies. Sometimes, Mr.
        Francis admits, it is tough separating the parodies from the real
        thing. Sometimes, he has ranked a site as cranky, only to be
        corrected by site visitors.

        "It's really hard to tell the difference," Mr. Francis said. "The
        crankiest people, literally, they are talking and you are giggling
        and what they're saying is ridiculous, but they are serious."

        Mr. Francis said he received several submissions daily suggesting
        sites to mention. Many of the submissions come from cranky
        Webmasters. In fact, Mr. Francis said he rarely gets complaints
        from the Webmasters he's clearly criticizing on the site. "Most are
        quite pleased," he said. "By no means is Crank Dot Net considered a
        hostile resource by people who are listed there."

        Mr. Francis recently listed Greatdreams.com and rated it
        "crankiest." Almost immediately, he received an e-mail message from
        Dee Finney, the site's Webmaster, thanking him for the listing.

        "Our main thrust is to educate people to watch their dreams," Mrs.
        Finney said. `In their dreams you see the future. "We're tickled to
        be listed. He has got the best links on his site to any educational
        subject that we actually favor."

        The New York Times on the Web
        http://www.nytimes.com

        Eric Krieg eric@...