25skeptic information 10-4-98

  • Eric Krieg
    Oct 3, 1998
      I wanted to briefly say that I was looking through a free alternative
      health magazine for the greater Philadelphia area and counted at least
      20 people doing Reiki, scores doing aromatherapy and reflexology and all
      kinds of past lives regression, alt psychology, channeling etc. Many
      of the practices advertised were "modalities" that I've never even heard
      of. Surprisingly, there were only a few people admitting doing TT -
      perhaps Emilies efforts had them concentrating on other areas. I'd guess
      this stuff is on the increase around here.

      in other news:

      ====== the following is from Mike Shermer:

      I wanted to alert you all of the following television shows coming up Monday
      and Tuesday, October 5-6, on "THE POWER OF BELIEF," and ABC Special with John
      Stossel:

      Monday: 11:00am EST (check local listings): Stossel will appear on Barbara
      Walters "The View" to plug his Tuesday night special.

      Tuesday: 7:00am EST (check local listings): Stossel will appear on Good
      Morning America plugging his Tuesday night special.

      Tuesday: 10:00pm EST (check local listings): ABC Special on "THE POWER OF
      BELIEF" with John Stossel.

      The special is an hour-long look at a variety of "weird" beliefs, including
      alternative medicine, psychics, alien abductions, and all manner of weird
      things. I am told by the producers that I appear in the program a fair amount,
      along with James Randi. In an earlier posting to this group after the taping
      of the show in July I noted that Stossel was VERY friendly and open to really
      allowing us skeptics to have our say on these matters. He went so far as to
      say, after one answer I gave to the "what's the harm?" question, "I think you
      can do better than that" and gave me another shot (it was the very first
      question he asked so I wasn't warmed up yet). So I am hoping, and I think we
      can be optimistic, that this will be a good program for science and
      skepticism.

      Michael Shermer
      ============================ and Calvins list:

      ufo Calvin
      P O Box 5231, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
      Internet: BufoCalvin@...
      Website: <A
      HREF="http://members.aol.com/bufocalvin">http://members.aol.com/bufocalvin</a>
      <A HREF="surprise link to Amazon.com">
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0486230945/bufosweirdworldA/</a>
      ALL RIGHTS RESERVED (permission is granted to reproduce or redistribute this
      edition of Bufo's WEIRD WORLD provided that attribution is made
      to http://members.aol.com/bufocalvin. It is good etiquette to check with
      strangers before you e-mail them something. If you forward this, please make
      sure it is clear that you are forwarding it).

      October 3, 1998

      If you are a cryptozoology fan, it looks like you have a bit less to see this
      week. Apparently, THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL has replaced ANIMAL X with STRANGE
      BUT TRUE. I also checked the British X-CREATURES site, and I couldn't see
      that anything was scheduled this week: it has gone through its initial six
      week run. If you know anything different, please let me know. The major news
      outlets here in California did have a story on a recent bigfoot sighting,
      apparently with seven witnesses. I'm looking for more information. Also, AP
      had an interesting media tie-in to the information being released in
      Washington. An inventory was taken of the books in the President's private
      study, and this line was included:

      > "``Vox,'' Nicholson Baker's steamy novel about phone sex, was listed on a
      shelf >right between volumes entitled ``Churchill on Courage: Timeless Wisdom
      for >Persevering'' and an Air Force report, ``UFO Crash at Roswell.''

      TELEVISION

      A&E
      Sunday, October 4, 6:00 PM, THE UNEXPLAINED: EXTRATERRESTRIALS

      THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL
      Sunday, October 5, 1:00 PM, INTO THE UNKNOWN: GOD BEAR OF KAMCHATKA
      Sunday, October 5, 1:30 PM, STRANGE BUT TRUE: NEAR DEATH AND EXORCISM
      Sunday, October 5, 2:00 PM, ALIENS: ARE WE ALONE? (includes UFOs)
      Thursday, October 8, 9:00 PM, INTO THE UNKNOWN: THUNDERBIRD
      Thursday, October 8, 9:30 PM, STRANGE BUT TRUE: DOWSER DETECTIVE AND
      SUPERNATURAL RESCUE
      Friday, October 8, 1:00 AM, INTO THE UNKNOWN: THUNDERBIRDS
      Friday, October 8, 1:30 AM, STRANGE BUT TRUE: DOWSER DETECTIVE AND
      SUPERNATURAL RESCUE
      Friday, October 9, 10:00 PM, MYSTERY OF THE CROP CIRCLES
      Saturday, 2:00 AM, MYSTERY OF THE CROP CIRCLES
      Next Sunday, October 10, 2:00 PM, ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE: CROP
      CIRCLES
      Next Sunday, October 10, 2:30 PM, ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE:
      ZOMBIES, THE LIVING DEAD
      Next Sunday, October 10, 5:00 PM, MYSTERY OF THE CROP CIRCLES

      THE LEARNING CHANNEL
      Friday, October 9, 7:00 PM, 48 HOURS: PSYCHIC AND SKEPTIC

      THE SCIENCE CHANNEL
      The new schedule is weird programming for an hour each at 6:00 AM, 2:00 PM,
      and 10:00 PM. Rotating shows include: INTO THE UNKNOWN, STRANGE BUT TRUE, and
      ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE.

      THE SCI-FI CHANNEL
      Sun, October 4 7:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3017: Alleged close encounter aboard
      the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt; twins search for siblings; past-life memories;
      time travel; dream murder.
      Sun, October 4 11:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3017: Alleged close encounter
      aboard the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt; twins search for siblings; past-life
      memories; time travel; dream murder.
      Mon, October 5 9:00 AM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3018: English paranormal activity;
      evolution and aliens; psychic sculptor; tragedies at mine-disaster site;
      child's death premonition.
      Mon, October 5 4:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #201: Group reincarnation; lovelorn
      ghost haunts Dallas family; cryonics.
      Mon, October 5 8:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #201 Group reincarnation; lovelorn
      ghost haunts Dallas family; cryonics.
      Tue, October 6 9:00 AM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3019 Mexican UFOs; psychic bond
      between twins; CIA and LSD; cloning; lost animals
      Tue, October 6 4:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #202 Multiple UFO sightings in Mexico
      City; hauntings in Alcatraz.
      Tue, October 6 8:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #202 Multiple UFO sightings in Mexico
      City; hauntings in Alcatraz.
      Wed, October 7 9:00 AM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3020 UFOs in the Pacific Northwest;
      alleged coma healer; system to improve luck; psychic detective; haunted
      Hollywood hotel.
      Wed, October 7 4:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #203 Officials of paranormal events
      and clerics examine an English werewolf; alleged UFO contacts have photos.
      Wed, October 7 8:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #203 Officials of paranormal events
      and clerics examine an English werewolf; alleged UFO contacts have photos.
      Thu, October 8 9:00 AM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3021 Alleged government UFO studies;
      Roswell; dog senses its owner's imminent heart attack; psychic detective;
      haunted cemetery.
      Thu, October 8 4:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #204 Vampire rituals; UFO dogfight;
      paranormal experiences.
      Thu, October 8 8:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #204 Vampire rituals; UFO dogfight;
      paranormal experiences.
      Fri, October 9 9:00 AM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3022 Aliens abduction of twins;
      artificial intelligence; haunted mansion; angelic intervention.
      Fri, October 9 4:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #205 Lizzie Borden; demonic
      possession
      Fri, October 9 8:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #205 Lizzie Borden; demonic
      possession
      Sun, October 11 7:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3023
      Sun, October 11 11:00 PM SIGHTINGS EPISODE #3023
      --
      best wishes,

      Eric Krieg eric@... fax (215) 654-0651
      http://www.syc.org/e/skeptic/