F.A. Year Book 1964-5.

  • Prof
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2012
      I have the above at home,thumbing through I found that a certain Trevor Brooking was in the squad (not team) for the England Schoolboys v Ireland.The result was 9-1 to England.
      Also,more information on Don Rogers,one of the best players of his generation in England,but whom decided to "stay at home" rather than play for a big club.This only changed in the twilight of his career and everyone raved how good he was.Similar to John Atyeo of Bristol City (who ?).He would have been an England regular if he played in London.I saw him in his final season before retiring,in the (now) Championship,still sensational.
      However...England won the International Youth Tournament in 1963,played in Holland.England drew against Poland and needed a good result against Ireland.6-0 ! Johnny Sissons (3),David Sadler (2) Don Rogers (2).In the Quarter-Final Austria were beaten 2-0,David Sadler (2).
      Next Spain were beaten 4-0.When England beat Portugal 4-0 the scorers were Don Rogers,David Sadler (2) and Harry Redknapp.Against Spain again 4-0,Cyril Knowles,Don Rogers (2) and Johnny Sissons.Howard Kendall was skipper.
      Don Rogers was named player of the tournament,quite rightly.
      Reminds me a little of Joey Beauchamp of Oxford United who was voted the best player of the 90's at Oxford.Eventually went to the Hammers for £1 million.They would not let him live in Oxford,so he left,went to S*****n Town,then back to us.Another "stay at home" man.A nightmare to play against,let alone referee as he dribbled down the right-wing with his left foot,he had a bullet shot with both feet (cut inside or go outside) or cross "on a sixpence".In the second-half,the left-wing,dribbling down the wing with his right foot ! It was hard enough refereeing,trying to read the game...nightmare.

      Mervyn.
    • Robert Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2012
        Thanks Mervyn, at least SOME of us haven't migrated to Facebook..

        Just found at a bok fair last Saturday the programe for the 1975 Cup Final betwen West Ham and Fulham, in mint condition for £3.50. It cost 20p on the day!

        Quite apart from the London origins of about 80% of the 24 players listed - the only foreign born player was John Cutbush from Malta!- the Fulham side featured John Lacey, listed at 6'1" the tallest of their team! He'd be way down the list now. Maybe we are going the basketbal route, except that Messi is about 5'6" I think. (The "Tiny" Cox of Barcelona..)

        On local soil Seaford Town have hauled themselves off the base of the SE Counties league div 2 with an impressive spurt of victories, hope we can stay up, otherwise it's Newhaven next year.

        And thereby hangs an old tale..

        Bob