The modern game has finally become a joke.

  • claphamstuart
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
      I have been slowly falling out of love with the game I started watching in the early 60s. Today, the sacking of Gary Megson has finally proved to me that the modern game has now become like a tasteless music hall joke. Currently in 3rd place in L1 (still div 3 to me!), well placed for a shot at automatic promotion or the play-offs and he is fired.

      The likes of Mandaric are an insult to fans. Thank goodness I have a site like this to visit and watch my 70s footy DVDs. I don't think I will ever attend another game, football is now definitely out of touch with reality and almost certainly out of touch with itself.

      Stuart
    • Mono Media PR
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
        Can only agree Stuart, I'm also slowly falling out of love with the game
        Becoming a rich mans play thing in many cases
        Bax

        To: sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com
        From: stu.clapham@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:50:29 +0000
        Subject: [Sixties and Seventies Soccer] The modern game has finally become a joke.

        I have been slowly falling out of love with the game I started watching in the early 60s. Today, the sacking of Gary Megson has finally proved to me that the modern game has now become like a tasteless music hall joke. Currently in 3rd place in L1 (still div 3 to me!), well placed for a shot at automatic promotion or the play-offs and he is fired.

        The likes of Mandaric are an insult to fans. Thank goodness I have a site like this to visit and watch my 70s footy DVDs. I don't think I will ever attend another game, football is now definitely out of touch with reality and almost certainly out of touch with itself.

        Stuart

      • Bob Wood
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
          On 1 March 2012 13:50, claphamstuart <stu.clapham@...> wrote:

          > I have been slowly falling out of love with the game I started watching in
          > the early 60s. Today, the sacking of Gary Megson has finally proved to me
          > that the modern game has now become like a tasteless music hall joke.
          > Currently in 3rd place in L1 (still div 3 to me!), well placed for a shot at
          > automatic promotion or the play-offs and he is fired.
          >
          > The likes of Mandaric are an insult to fans. Thank goodness I have a site
          > like this to visit and watch my 70s footy DVDs. I don't think I will ever
          > attend another game, football is now definitely out of touch with reality
          > and almost certainly out of touch with itself.

          The likes of Megson don't do much for the game either. You will
          presumably remember that he walked on Leicester (and Mandaric) after
          less than 6 weeks and only 9 games. It could be thought that 'what
          goes around, comes around' in this case.

          Not that I disagree with you about the state of the game. Although
          I'm certain that I will continue to attend the occasional game, it
          won't be anywhere near as frequent as it has been and I often wish
          that I could kick the bug completely.

          --
          Bob
        • claphamstuart
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
            --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, Bob Wood <bob@...> wrote:

            > The likes of Megson don't do much for the game either. You will
            > presumably remember that he walked on Leicester (and Mandaric) after
            > less than 6 weeks and only 9 games. It could be thought that 'what
            > goes around, comes around' in this case.
            >
            > Not that I disagree with you about the state of the game. Although
            > I'm certain that I will continue to attend the occasional game, it
            > won't be anywhere near as frequent as it has been and I often wish
            > that I could kick the bug completely.
            >
            > --
            > Bob

            I have to agree about Megson and maybe getting a bit of payback, but also look at Lee Clark, while I agree he may have become stale, just what does a chairman think a different manager such as Grayson can do so late in the day that Clark could not?
            I don't think I have the stomach to attend any more games, or maybe that might have something to do with Warnock getting his hands on my beloved team <g>.

            The game in general is so far out of touch with the fans it has now become pathetic, no longer do the players have that much time for the fans - especially the youngsters - gone are the days when they could hang around the players entrance to get their autographs which the players would stop and give them, now most of them barge past them wearing headphones are not even bothering to stop. Football in general is now too big for it's boots, it's no longer a working class game and has not been for an awful long time, now it's a 'product'.

            Stuart
          • bill laing
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
              I've been saying much the same thing for years Stuart.Last "proper" game i attended was 6 years ago.I've followed Sutton United for the past 4 seasons and i've had enough of that as well.
              The turnover of players/managers nowadays is ludicrous.I could bore you for hours on what's wrong with the game but  the main thing lately is the ball getting passed 47 times sideways and backwards before getting in the final third .Also the amount of time 'keepers are allowed to waste from the start and the silly coloured boots , ludicrous goal celebrations and 8 men sitting on the bench every game  -  32 players doing nothing if you run 4 teams.The subs regularly enter the fray with only seconds left in the game.............roll on the Cricket season...............
              Cheers
              Bill

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                I agree with this sentiment, I saw the news and was appalled. Apparently the main owner was happy with Megson, as were the fans, but another director of the club was not and felt he had under-achieved.

                With recent memories of the Hillsborough showdown when Wednesday failed to beat Palace and were relegated, I know how much presure there is for them to climb back up the League.

                I dread to think what would (probably wil) happen in the future when Dougie Freedman can't sustain Palace. At the moment we are happy, after recent relegation threat traumas, just to stay in the Championship but no doubt expectations will be fuelled if we perform better. Alternatively he could well be poached, especially by one of his other former clubs Notts Forest or Wolves, or Leeds come to that.

                Regards Bob B

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Palace are one of many clubs who employ a new manager every 5 minutes.The football authorities have a captive , braindead audience of idiots who they can con with no comebacks.Any "grown man" turning up at grounds with those ludicrous , silly , childish replica shirts on wants fxxxxxx  shooting.
                  You can't even go out for a quiet drink anymore without being forced to watch sodding football - it's on 7 nights a week.Morning , noon and fxxxxxx night ...........7 days a week.The vast majority of games are mind numbingly boring.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                    Well said Stuart. Not long after the silly sacking of Lee Clark too. What do these chairman want?

                    Scott

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                      They want shooting

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                        --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, Robert Brown <bobbrownct@...> wrote:

                        > I agree with this sentiment, I saw the news and was appalled. Apparently the main owner was happy with Megson, as were the fans, but another director of the club was not and felt he had under-achieved.
                        >
                        > With recent memories of the Hillsborough showdown when Wednesday failed to beat Palace and were relegated, I know how much presure there is for them to climb back up the League.
                        >
                        > I dread to think what would (probably wil) happen in the future when Dougie Freedman can't sustain Palace. At the moment we are happy, after recent relegation threat traumas, just to stay in the Championship but no doubt expectations will be fuelled if we perform better. Alternatively he could well be poached, especially by one of his other former clubs Notts Forest or Wolves, or Leeds come to that.
                        >
                        > Regards Bob B

                        In total agreement. I have friends who support Bradford City, and they say that they never want to return to the Premier League.

                        Although born in Leeds I now reside in Bradford and live with in walking distance of Thackley, which is where I will most likely spend a Saturday afternoon if I get bored, but even at that Level (it's step Nine I think in the pyramid) there are ex pros in there and the silly antics of the pro game are slowly creeping in.

                        Stuart.
                      • claphamstuart
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                          --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, bill laing <billy318124@...> wrote:

                          > Palace are one of many clubs who employ a new manager every 5 minutes.The football authorities have a captive , braindead audience of idiots who they can con with no comebacks.Any "grown man" turning up at grounds with those ludicrous , silly , childish replica shirts on wants fxxxxxx  shooting.
                          > You can't even go out for a quiet drink anymore without being forced to watch sodding football - it's on 7 nights a week.Morning , noon and fxxxxxx night ...........7 days a week.The vast majority of games are mind numbingly boring.

                          Sorry Bill, but you will have to shoot me <g>. I have to hold my hands up and admit to owning 2 Leeds retro shirts ('72 FA cup final, '75 European cup final), but I have and never would wear them at a game.
                        • Robert Brown
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                            Ouch Bill you must have had a bad day yesterday, didn't you say "Rabbits" when you woke up?

                            I think your sentiments are a bit overstated, football is still the "game of the people" and I hope in future it will help to Unite (Haha) our now rather mixed cultural heritage, through the youngsters of today. How many of them will actually PLAY for a top team of course is sadly another matter.

                            Of the ten pubs in Seaford five show football I think, most discreetly. I would say only in only two is it not possible to "Not watch sodding football". Maybe you should think of moving, Bill...

                            Bob B

                            PS the League Cup Final was pretty exciting, tinged with regret for me, that it wasn't Palace Liverpool were up against. Made our semi-final fight against Cardiff more respectable in that the only difference was Cardiff could score penalties on their own ground, but not at Wembley against all the baying Kop-ites!

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                              Bradford City are like Preston one of those clubs who have an illustrious heritage and probably are burdened by it, also by their brief period ten or more years ago back at the top.

                              My old ciggy cars feature Bradford City quite prominently as FA Cup winners. Sadly in my lifetime I can't see Palace reaching that summit.

                              Whatever happened to Benny Carbone by the way?

                              Bob

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                I wear my "Freedman 9" shirt quite often. I also have the away version. They both have the old "Churchill" sponsorship of course. I wore the home one at Dougie's testimonial game (no shame).

                                I also got "Glad All Over" played this morning on our local Community radio station Seahaven FM (96.3FM and also on the net).

                                No doubt given that its broadcasting area covers Seaford, Newhaven, Peacehaven and up to Lewes there are quite a few Albion fans I have upset!!!

                                Bob

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                  --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, Robert Brown <bobbrownct@...> wrote:

                                  > Bradford City are like Preston one of those clubs who have an illustrious heritage and probably are burdened by it, also by their brief period ten or more years ago back at the top.
                                  >
                                  > My old ciggy cars feature Bradford City quite prominently as FA Cup winners. Sadly in my lifetime I can't see Palace reaching that summit.
                                  >
                                  > Whatever happened to Benny Carbone by the way?
                                  >
                                  > Bob

                                  Carbone went on to Derby and Middlesbrough after leaving Bradford. He then returned to Italy around 10 years ago and played in Serie B before becoming a coach then manager. He was put in charge at Pavia for the final Two months of the 2010-11 season before leaving to manage Varese where he was sacked after 3 months. Since then he has disappeared of the footballing radar.

                                  Stuart.
                                • bill laing
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                    The game has "gone" Bob

                                    Was it Tommy Docherty who said "If Sky tell you to kick off at midnight on Mars........." ?

                                    Full of mediocre foreigners stopping British lads progressing.................
                                    EIGHT substitutes..........................
                                    few players transferred up the division any more.................
                                    ludicrous goal celebrations....................
                                    ludicrous cringe inducing coloured boots......................
                                    multiple bookings/sending offs for barely breathing on opponents..............
                                    defenders allowed to wrestle forwards and go unpunished at dead ball kicks.......................
                                    frequent turnover of managers and players...............
                                    obcene wages....................
                                    ball getting knocked sideways and backwards resulting in 80% of the 40 odd mins the ball is in play being in the middle third................
                                    goalkeepers wasting as much time as humanly possible and never getting sent off............their latest trick is to make a routine stop then fall on the floor holding it for 10 seconds.....................
                                    95% of the supporters are total doughnuts...........................

                                    etc etc etc

                                    From: Robert Brown <bobbrownct@...>

                                    To: "sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com" <sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com>

                                    From: claphamstuart <stu.clapham@...>

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                      If you suffer MOTD you will see routine incidents replayed three times and goals 4 or 5 times.This is because nothing much of note happens......................

                                      From: Robert Brown <bobbrownct@...>

                                      To: "sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com" <sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com>

                                      From: bill laing <billy318124@...>

                                      From: Robert Brown <bobbrownct@...>

                                      To: "sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com" <sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com>

                                      From: claphamstuart <stu.clapham@...>

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                        --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, bill laing <billy318124@...> wrote:

                                        > The game has "gone" Bob
                                        >
                                        > Was it Tommy Docherty who said "If Sky tell you to kick off at midnight on Mars........." ?
                                        >
                                        > Full of mediocre foreigners stopping British lads progressing.................
                                        > EIGHT substitutes..........................
                                        > few players transferred up the division any more.................
                                        > ludicrous goal celebrations....................
                                        > ludicrous cringe inducing coloured boots......................
                                        > multiple bookings/sending offs for barely breathing on opponents..............
                                        > defenders allowed to wrestle forwards and go unpunished at dead ball kicks.......................
                                        > frequent turnover of managers and players...............
                                        > obcene wages....................
                                        > ball getting knocked sideways and backwards resulting in 80% of the 40 odd mins the ball is in play being in the middle third................
                                        > goalkeepers wasting as much time as humanly possible and never getting sent off............their latest trick is to make a routine stop then fall on the floor holding it for 10 seconds.....................
                                        95% of the supporters are total doughnuts...........................

                                        etc etc etc

                                        You are spot on Bill.

                                        I strongly agree on the refereeing aspect. I used to enjoy officiating until some witless prat at FIFA decided to remove the best unwritten rule a ref ever had - applying our own common sense to the laws and been able use your own judgment. I did give it a try for a couple of months but decided that I did not want to be a robot and gave up. I also began to see how much effect parents now have on their kids, when I was a ref, most kids at U11 just wanted to have fun
                                        and as a ref you saw that they enjoyed it and also tried to help them throughout the game. Now parents just want them to be the next Gerrard or Beckham!!. even my own GP has an Eight year old on the books at Manchester Utd, and all she wants is for him to be ruthless and push his way to the top, it really is very sad.

                                        Stuart.
                                      • bill laing
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                          Children should be allowed to grow up in their own time and play sport , uncoached , for the sheer enjoyment of it.
                                          Modesty does not forbid me to tell you that as a kid i was a prolific , two footed goalscorer.I scored hundreds (literally) but i was never approached by a pro club until i was 14 which still seems about right to me.

                                          Cheers
                                          Bill

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                            --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, bill laing <billy318124@...> wrote:

                                            > Children should be allowed to grow up in their own time and play sport , uncoached , for the sheer enjoyment of it.
                                            > Modesty does not forbid me to tell you that as a kid i was a prolific , two footed goalscorer.I scored hundreds (literally) but i was never approached by a pro club until i was 14 which still seems about right to me.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers
                                            > Bill

                                            That should be around the right age they are signed nowadays. I remember an old friend of mine played for a local team - Pudsey Juniors - and he bagged in over 70 goals in one season, yet he wasn't approached until he was just turned 15 by Leeds and Man Utd, alas he did not want to be a pro footballer so turned them both down.

                                            I seem to recall that scouts never watched schoolboy games until you were in the 5th or even 6th form.

                                            Stuart
                                          • bill laing
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 2, 2012
                                              Arthur Rowe came and watched me twice.On Thursday i scored 8 for the
                                              school team , on Sunday i scored 10 for my club.He was round our house a
                                              couple of days later offering associated schoolboy forms. I should of
                                              turned them down but i was only 14 and tied to Palace for the next 4
                                              year once i'd signed..

                                              Bill