Re: The Holmesdale Online - News Alert - Moses departs Selhurst

  • Robert Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Moses heads off into the wilderness, hope he keeps taking the tablets...

      Not the first time a player has been sold to bail a club out, Mark Beeney was sold by Brighton to Leeds to pay out player wages in 1993 or thereabouts. I think Leeds paid about £300k but Beeney never really figured in the first team then if memory serves me right, eh Bob?

      Bob B

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
        I didn't realise that's how Beeney joined Leeds, but you're right, he was never really more than Lukic's and then Nigel Martyn's deputy. He played 33 times for us, and was the number one in his first full season at the club for a short while when Lukic briefly lost his form.

        He cost Leeds £350k. He went on to Maidstone United and was their goally the season they were promoted to the League, after which Brighton bought him back for £30k.

        My memory of him at Leeds was that for a while from the crowd, I couldn't tell Beeney and Nigel Martyn apart they looked so alike. I'm sure close scrutiny would not support this, but from the distance of halfway up in the Kop, it always seemed like it was the same player, not that Beeney played much after Martyn joined us.

        Leeds's best example of selling a player to pay the wages was Rio Ferdinand to Man U for £30 million. Why Leeds are not grateful to Man U for basically bailing us out when we were at one of our lowest ebbs I do not know!

        What was worse was loaning people out to save paying all their wages. I'll never forget the day Robbie Keane scored for Spurs against us in our relegation season, and we were still paying most of his wages at the time. Groan. I hope you do not have all this to come Palace / Portsmouth fans...

        Bob7071