Swindon's League Cup win in 1969

  • Paul Farwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      Did anyone in the group go the game ?

      I was only 4 at the time but can just about remember the furrore in
      the town aftr the game.Would like to hear from anyone who went as
      I've only seen the goals on film. Still our greatest achievement and
      still 1 that ranks among the biggest upsets.
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
        Being a Spurs fan, I wouldn't have attended that game..!!
        But do you remember the Spurs v Swindon F.A. Cup replay in 79/80?
        Swindon were in the old 3rd Division that season....but were in the
        thick of the domestic Cup action. I recollect you beating Arsenal in
        the League Cup at the County Ground, 4-3 I think. And then losing to
        Wolves in the Semis, if I remember rightly.
        Anyway, that replay at White Hart Lane; You were leading 1-0 until
        literally the last minute. And then Gerry Armstrong scored 2 goals in
        60 seconds. From memory,the Swindon team included the likes of Alan
        Mayes, Andy Rowland and Chris Kamara. I can still recall Kamara
        putting in a few "strong" tackles that evening...!!

        Cheers,

        Peter.

        --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Farwell"

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          Yes I remember the 4-3 league cup win over Arsenal. Listened to it
          on Radio Oxford as that was our nearest local Radio Station at the
          time.
          You could hear the cheering outside our house.The FA cup replay
          against spurs was another great game. Also recall Kenny Stroud in
          the Swindon side then too.Yeah Kris Kamara was a legend for us. Had
          2 great spells with Swindon , the best being the division 4
          championship in the 85/86 season.
          --- In sixtiesandseventiessoccer@yahoogroups.com, "Peter"