Re: Great! Let's talk about the book itself

  • zaramad
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2010
      Thank you for posting, Crocker!

      There's been quite a lot of interesting lore that has accumulated around the book over the centuries. In its earliest origins it is closely connected with the Faust legends in Renaissance Germany, and in more recent years it has been assimilated into such diverse folk magics as Pennsylvania Dutch Hexcraft, Jamaican Obeah, and Rootwork and Hoodoo in the United States.

      One that comes immediately to mind is the legend of the book as a "Black Bible" written in white letters on black pages to signify the averse character of its contents. This may have been inspired by the fact that in most editions the seals themselves are printed in this way.

      Will collect some more from my notes over the years and post next week.

      PERQVAERENS ARCANVM ARCANORVM

      -=Zaramad=-