    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 1999
      Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:16:15 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (100)

      We have uploaded the second booklet in Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji's
      "Special Insights Into Sadhana" series. The second booklet consists of
      talks during festivals that commonly take place during the month of
      The title of the talks are:
      1) The Gita Yoga
      2) Their Fiery Call to Us
      3) The Call of the Great Ones
      4) The Call of Dattatreya

      This booklet is available for download from

      We have also uploaded an article by Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji titled
      "Swami Sivananda's Unique Way of Teaching". This article consists of many
      interesting anecdotes of how Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      imparts his teachings and takes care of spiritual aspirants. Devotees will
      surely be inspired by Holy Master's concern for our spiritual well-being.
      This article is at

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      THE HIDDEN ENEMY: Sri X. told the Master that she would be observing
      silence and would perform worship for some days.

      "That is unnecessary here. Talk a little. Try and avoid unnecessary
      discussions and idle gossip. That will do. All essential talking must be
      done. There is no loss in it," said the Master and, after a brief pause
      added, "Control anger. Avoid irritability."

      Everyone was puzzled as to why he said this.

      Sri X. replied, "Swamiji, I have no worry on that score. I do not have
      these defects."

      "Oh! Wonderful! Then you need not do Sadhana!" he said laughingly. "It has
      to be seen only when you are provoked. Most of us are peaceful and patient
      when we are not provoked, but when we are, then the real inner nature
      manifests itself. You may call yourself a fool, but when another person
      says so it would be a different matter. And if he says it when people are
      present, there would be a very violent quarrel.

      "Supposing during a public meeting where thousands of people are present,
      someone says that you are a fool. You cannot imagine the state of your
      mind. It can be tested only when the ego is touched. Until then everything
      is perfect. All Sadhana is intended to root out this hidden enemy. This is
      the special purpose of Karma Yoga."

      "Life is the greatest gift of God. Life is a priceless pearl. Life is an
      art, the art of self-adjustment with the entire creation. Your life is
      incomplete without spiritual consciousness. The grand aim of human life is
      to attain God. This is your foremost duty." - Swami Sivananda