    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 1999
      Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:45:35 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (93)

      Om Saravanabhavaya Namah!

      Today (Oct. 26) is the Skanda-Shasti festival celebrated in honour of Lord
      Subramanya, the son of Lord Siva. On this day, Lord Subramanya defeated
      the demon Taraka. To celebrate this Holy occasion we have uploaded two
      articles on Skanda Shasti.

      In the first article Swami Sivananda gives an account of the advent of
      Lord Subramanya and explains the significance of the spiritual practices
      taken up by devotees during Skanda Sashti. This article is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/skanda.htm

      In the second article, Swami Krishnananda commences by explaining how
      the central motif of all Epics of the world hinges upon a conflict which
      gets resolved in the end. Swamiji then goes on to explain the history of
      Skanda Shasti which is described in the Epic Skanda Purana and the
      spiritual significance behind this festival. Swamiji also explains how
      the external battle is similar to the inner adventure of the spirit.
      This article is titled "Lord Skanda--The Concentrated Divine Energy" and
      is at at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/skanda_krishna.htm

      We have uploaded a recent response by Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj to a
      devotee to the question of "What is Purty?". Swamiji's enlightening
      response is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/messages/purity.htm

      We have uploaded a booklet consisting of Early Morning Meditation Talks by
      Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj. This is the first in a series of
      eight booklets. These talks were given during special spiritual occasions
      in the sacred Samadhi Hall of Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj at the DLS,
      Rishikesh. The current booklet also contains a talk by Gurudev during
      Skanda-Shasti titled "The Call of Shanmukha". The title of the booklet is
      "Special Insights Into Sadhana No.1" and is available at our free books
      page at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/download/download.htm

      All new uploads from now onwards will be immediately linked from our
      announcements page as well. Devotees can check our announcement for any
      new upload over the week. Gurudev's letters will also be archived here.
      Our announcements page is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/announce/announce.htm

      May Lord Subramanya shower His abundant Grace on one and all.

      Om Saravanabhavaya Namah!

      AVOID THE TOURING HABIT: An inmate-Swami who worked in the magazine
      section went on tour and another Swami took charge of the work. This Swami
      also had gone out on tour previously. The frequent change of hands was
      affecting the office work.

      Looking at this Swami the Master said, "Why do you go out of the Ashram
      often? What do you gain by staying in this Ashram for two or three months
      and then at another place for a similar period? You should remain here
      permanently and become a pillar of the Ashram."

      "Will you not be lights in this darkness that is spreading over the human
      world? Will you not make use of the supreme privilege of mahapurusha
      samsrayah (protecting care of a perfected sage) that God has blessed you
      with and be each one of you a shining light, and strive humbly and simply
      to be a lamp unto the feet of others? Awaken the light within and let it
      radiate through your every thought, word and action. And thus make this
      life a purposeful and a glorious ascent into the fullness of light where
      one becomes an enlightened being, an illumined being, shining with the
      light of spiritual consciousness, divine consciousness. " - Swami
      Chidananda