    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1999
      Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:36:30 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (92)

      In celebration of the Deepavali festival today, we have uploaded two
      essays on Deepavali.

      The first one is on the significance of Deepavali by Holy Master Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj. This essay is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/deepavali.htm

      The second is by Sri Swami Krishnanadaji Maharaj, titled
      Yajna--Quintessence of the Culture of India. In this article Swamiji
      explains the import of Yajna (sacrifice) in the context of India's culture
      and Deepavali being one of the days in which we are reminded of our
      three-fold duty to: ourselves--Tapas (austerities), others--Dana (charity)
      and God--Yajna. This article is at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/yajna.htm

      We have also uploaded another video clip. This clip contains scenes around
      Rishikesh where the headquarters of The Divine Life Society is situated.
      The video clip is accessible from out multimedia page at:
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/multimedia/multimedia.htm

      GOD'S PROTECTION: Countess Mayo asked the Master, "What would you do if
      some people came to attack you, Swamiji? Would you draw a circle around
      you, which would protect you from them?"

      The Master said, "I will keep quiet. I have surrendered myself to the
      Lord. Let Him do what He likes."

      Countess Mayo appreciated this attitude.

      Then the Master said, "Three years ago a thief stole silver vessels worth
      Rs. 4,000 from the Viswanath temple. He was not found. Many Ashrams keep
      guards with rifles for protection. But I refuse to appoint any such guard.
      God has given me this Ashram to do some good work and He will take care of
      it if He wants to."

      "There may be up and downs, storms and stresses, smiles and tears, as you
      go on living your life amidst its many vicissitudes, trials and
      tribulations. Do not lose faith but press on with a firm conviction that
      God wants to mould you in His own image through suffering and
      tribulations." - Swami Sivananda