    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 1999
      Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:05:18 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (83)

      Last weekend we had a wonderful retreat with blessed and worshipful
      Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj in Maryland, USA. Here are a few of
      Gurudev's thoughts that I would like to share with all devotees (not
      exact quotes):

      * We have come with nothing into this world and we will go with nothing
      (materially). But we don't have to go empty-handed spiritually.

      * Human birth is the rarest of gifts bestowed by God. And human beings who
      have aspiration for God-realization are twice-blessed.

      * Our foremost duty on this earth-plane is to engage in Sadhana and
      realize God. Everything else is secondary.

      >From these thoughts we can see that Gurudev's primary concern for us is
      that we should realize God. The best way we can thank Gurudev for all that
      he has done and still doing for us is by putting into practice the "20
      Important Spiritual Instructions" in our daily life. These instructions
      are at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/teachings/20instr.htm

      Friday (August 14) was the birthday of Lord Krishna. To celebrate this
      occasion we have uploaded two essays dealing with the spiritual practices
      engaged by devotees during this festival and also on the glory of Lord
      Krishna. The essays are:

      Krishna Janmashtami by Sri Swami Sivananda at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/krishna_jan.htm

      and

      Sri Krishna--The Purna-Avatara by Sri Swami Krishnananda at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/religions/krishna_jan2.htm

      A TRANSCENDENTAL QUESTION: "Why did God create the world?" the Master put
      the question to Gurusaranananda. The latter could not reply and kept
      silent.

      Then the Master continued, "Many people put me this question. It is
      Anirvachaneeya (inexpressible). It is a transcendental question. 'Why'
      applies only to things of the world and not to things transcendental.
      Realise the Self. Then you will get an answer to the question."

      "Recognition of the total helplessness of the human individual is a sign
      of wisdom. The pride of man has to subside. The ego which struts around as
      an all knowing entity begins to feel the pulse within. That is the
      beginning of true philosophy." - Swami Krishnananda