    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27 7:35 AM
      Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 01:29:19 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (82)

      We have uploaded Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj's book
      "Mind--Its Mysteries and Control" to our website. This book is a veritable
      treasure containg everything you wanted to know about the mind. The Master
      himself has beautifully summarized the contents of the book in his

      "For gaining mastery over the mind, you have to know what it is, how it
      works, how it deceives you at every turn and by what methods it can be
      subdued. In this book, the subject has been dealt with; and the nature of
      the mind, the various forms that it assumes, the secret of its inner
      workings and the way to control it are fully and clearly explained. The
      previous editions were eagerly read and appreciated by thousands of
      aspirants who wrote to say how immensely they were helped by the

      The lessons and instructions are eminently practical and many helpful
      ideas and suggestions got during my meditations have been recorded and put
      down here. Very useful hints on concentration and meditation will be found
      in the book which, if faithfully followed, will bring success in a short
      time without fail."

      This book is available for download in both PDF and HTML formats at our
      free books page at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      DETACH-ATTACH: Swami Kalyanananda questioned the Master, "Swamiji, you
      have written over two hundred books. Instructions are so many that I am
      confused as to which to follow. Will you kindly enlighten me?"

      The Master said, "Detach-attach."

      "Anything more, Swamiji?" questioned Swami Kalyanananda.

      "Nothing more. Detach-attach. It contains every other instruction. The two
      hundred books written by me are but commentaries on this single advice.
      Detach the mind from all objects. Detach it from every outgoing tendency,
      from objective consciousness, from the notion of duality. The process of
      detaching thus is the Sadhana and the goal also.

      "Detach. This single word itself sums up the essence of all the scriptures
      and Sadhanas. It is self-sufficient, being self-contained. Yet the word
      'attach' is added just to supplement it, with a view to explaining as well
      as simplifying the process of detaching.

      "Attach the mind to the Lord. Attach it to the Self. Attach it to the
      subjective non-dual Consciousness. In the process of attaching the mind
      thus, the process of detaching, as explained before, inheres; and the
      process of detaching the mind from objective tendencies is not possible
      without attaching it to the Divine Consciousness, since mind or energy is
      inextinguishable. Detaching and attaching are like the two sides of the
      same coin.

      "Detach-attach. Though it looks simple, it is the essence of all Sadhanas.
      Concentration, meditation, etc., are but different phases of the one
      single process of detach-attach. Kirtan, Pranayama and other Sadhanas are
      but different outer forms of the single inner Sadhana of detach-attach. Of
      what use is it to learn all the scriptures? This one injunction is
      sufficient to give you liberation. It is a wisdom-tablet of the highest
      potency, by taking which alone one can free oneself from the disease of
      worldly life. There is no higher Sadhana than this, nor any Sadhana devoid
      of it. It is the cream or kernel of all Sadhanas and teachings. Practise
      this and attain immortality."

      "You can purchase the whole world but you cannot purchase Satsang
      (association with saints). It is a gift of God." - Swami Chidananda