    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 1999
      Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:22:04 -0500
      From: Rob Wilhelm <rob@...>
      To: Divine Life Family <rob@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (79)

      FOOLISH DISPASSION:

      At the conclusion of the night Satsang, the Master noticed Sri Swami
      Gurusaranananda present. His body was very thin. The Master had already
      requested him on several occasions to take fruits, milk and tonics to
      improve his health, but Gurusaranananda had been consistently refusing to
      take them.
      The Master made another attempt to change this attitude, which was
      detrimental to his health.
      "Do you take fruits?" enquired the Master.
      "No," replied Gurusaranananda.
      "Then don't take food also," he commented. "Now you are a liberated sage.
      You can have disembodied liberation also by foregoing food. Better still,
      go and jump into the Ganges. You can have disembodied liberation in five
      minutes!"
      "He is not taking fruit because he says he has not done service of the
      Guru," said Swami Satchidananda.
      "He is doing service," said the Master and, turning to Gurusaranananda,
      said, "Go and clean the roads and latrines."
      The Master then advised him to take two tins of Chyavanaprash a week, and
      also to use badam oil for his body.
      Swami Gurusaranananda said in a low voice, "Swamiji's blessings are my tonic."
      As he came out of the Satsang Hall, the Master enquired, "Who amongst you
      wishes to have disem-bodied liberation in five minutes? He can go and throw
      himself into the Ganges!"
      The audience enjoyed the Master's joke.
      Later the Master said, "People have various foolish ideas about dispassion."

      To make the outgoing stream of thought in-going is the great science of the
      mind that has to be learned. Begin by non-cooperating with the mind.
      Whenever the mind builds up a want and wants to do a thing, assert your
      independence and say, "No, I will not do it", and whenever the mind refuses
      to do something, say, "You shall do it". Always tell yourself: "I am the
      master of this house (body-mind). I will not be dominated and commanded by
      the desire-ridden mind. I shall do the dictating. I will assert my mastery
      and make the mind listen to me and obey me". - Swami Chidananda