    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9 5:59 AM
      Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:25:06 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (71)

      Attached with this e-mail is Gurudev's last letter to all of us.

      Devotees who feel that Gurudev's letters has helped them in their
      spiritual life should write to the editor of the DLS magazine and let them
      know how it has helped them. This will show that Gurudev's letters are
      inline with the DLS's aims and objective (i.e. providing spiritual

      The Editor,
      The Divine Life Magazine,
      P.O. Shivanandanagar-249 192,
      Distt. Tehri-Garhwal,
      Uttar Pradesh,

      Or you can send me an e-mail by this Friday (May 29th) and I can send it
      with mine.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      President Swamiji Writes:

      Radiant Divinities!

      Beloved brethren of our Global human family,

      May God shower divine grace upon one and all of you and grant you
      spiritual peace and joy. May the choicest blessings of Worshipful and
      Beloved Holy Master Swami Sivanandaji be upon you now and always. This
      month's letter is being written with special interest and earnestness
      because this is the last letter that I shall be writing in our Divine Life
      Society's monthly magazine.

      It was brought to my notice recently that making use of the columns of an
      organisation's official mouthpiece i.e. Divine Life Society's periodical
      journal for communicating one's personal views and other matters
      unconnected with the Divine Life Society's aims and objectives is
      improper. It constitutes a misuse of space that could give place to more
      useful matter to the subscribers and readers. I agree with this view. I
      feel that it is correct. Hence my decision to desist from making use of
      these columns in future.

      However, in this last communication I share some interesting information
      of importance. Firstly, our Society's YOGA VEDANTA FOREST ACADEMY
      completes 50 years of its activity in the first week of July this year.
      Therefore, it is the Golden Jubilee year of the Y.V.F. Academy. It is in
      the fitness of things therefore, that the Divine Life Society (of which
      the Y.V.F.A. is a department) starts planning right from now to observe
      this special event in a most befitting manner. The valuable ideas and
      suggestions of the Academy Registrar, Warden etc. should also be taken in
      this connection. Secondly, a suitable SOUVENIR to commemorate this
      important event must be prepared and made ready for release on the 3rd of
      July 1998. These are the barest minimal items uppermost in my mind at this
      moment. You will clearly perceive that this is neither far fetched nor out
      of the way, when you remember the fact that the Society observed similar
      special anniversary events in the past. Such as for example in 1993 the
      Golden Jubilee of the AKHANDA MAHAMANTRA KIRTAN going on in the holy
      Bhajan Hall since 1943. As also the Golden Jubilee of the Sacred
      Pratishtha ceremony and inauguration of the holy SRI VISWANATH MANDIR on
      the 31st December of the same year, 1993. More recently you observed the
      Diamond Jubilee of the Divine Life Society with a 12 month programme all
      over India to mark the completion of 60 years since its establishment in
      1936 by its Holy Founder Worshipful Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj.

      In the light of the above and in direct connection with the subject, I
      specially call upon all persons who have been the candidates who
      participated in the training courses that the Y.V.F.A. had been conducting
      over the years. Ex-students of the Academy Courses may come forward with
      articles for the Souvenir or with their experiences and impressions during
      their course participation. The Golden Jubilee Souvenir should contain as
      many interesting illustrations as possible of group photographs, lecture
      classes in sessions, Hatha Yoga practice and Karma Yoga activities etc.
      Such a Souvenir will be a treasure both for the Academy students as also
      for those who offered generously and graciously their ready and willing
      services as lecturers and instructors etc.

      Before concluding, all of us belonging to Sri Gurudev's DIVINE LIFE
      SOCIETY, members, Divine Life branch organisers and connected selfless
      workers must now exercise our minds to reflect and consider what part
      Gurudev's Divine Life message and his Divine Life teachings are going to
      play in the early years of our coming 21st Century. Despite immense
      progress in scientific discoveries and inventions etc. that our present
      century witnessed, yet it has gone through great upheavals, disasters,
      global warfare and much hatred, violence, conflicts and clashes among
      different sections of our human fraternity. Humanity has suffered a great
      deal. Cruelty has been perpetuated not only upon humans but also upon dumb
      helpless animals. As we enter into the new century we have to make amends
      for past misdeeds and at the same time also work to act as a soothing balm
      to heal the painful traumas.

      In this above task three great ethical-spiritual principles shine before
      us with unique significance to accomplish this humane task. The Divine
      Life stands upon the threefold foundation of compassion and non-injury, of
      truthfulness in all dealings and upon pure character and noble good
      conduct in daily life. Precisely these same three principles of
      compassion, truthfulness and purity are declared as the very first
      prerequisites of the science of Yoga and higher meditation by the great
      sage Patanjali Maharshi. To further confirm this we have also the
      declaration of the ancient sage, Ashtavakra, in the opening part of his
      Ashtavakra Gita, when he calls out to us and declares that if we wish for
      Liberation then we should cherish verily as Ambrosia or Nectar this
      selfsame three virtues of purity, compassion and truthfulness. This does
      not constitute merely a chance coincidence. On the contrary this clearly
      indicates the task before the present human generation and specially
      Divine Life Society's members in the coming years ahead. We must work both
      individually and unitedly to bring about a social order which will be
      guided by these sublime triple principles of compassion, truthfulness and
      a pervasive purity of life. Herein lies the hope for a better world and a
      better humanity at the dawn of the 21 st century. Come, let us work
      together as instruments under the will of the Divine.

      Let our world never forget the simple prayer of St. Francis of Assisi also
      India's ancient prayers for world peace, welfare and happiness handed down
      by our ancient seers and sages of the Vedic and Upanishadic era. Let us
      pray and let us work to make our prayer come, into manifestation as actual
      reality upon the outer plane, in the human world.

      My utmost heartfelt thanks and profound gratitude to one and all of you.
      May Gurudev grant you the gift of Divine Life. Wishing you peace and joy,
      I must now bid you farewell once for all.

      Yours in Divine Life,

      Swami Chidananda

      A Servant of The Holy Master

      5th April,
      Holy Sri Rama Navami Day

      SAMADHI DIFRCULT OF ATTAINMENT: "Believe not the man who says that he will
      give you Samadhi within six months or will grant you Krishna Darshan
      within a week. He must be either a cheat or a deluded soul, having no idea
      of what Samadhi or Krishna Darshan means. These experiences are not easy
      of attainment," remarked the Master after he came into the office.

      "The Lord's Darshan and Samadhi cannot be had without adequate effort with
      a purified mind and the guidance of a competent Guru. Purification and
      perfection take a long time. 'Perfected through many births, one attains
      the highest goal'. Therefore, beware! Do not be duped by charlatans. Do
      regular and systematic Sadhana and deep meditation. Be patient if there is
      a delay in the descent of Divine Grace. When all the impurities of the
      mind have been removed and it has been steadied, then and then alone will
      one be blessed with the supreme experience of Samadhi or God-vision. Then
      alone will he enjoy supreme peace and bliss.

      "Nowadays people want to see some miracles performed before they can
      believe in spiritual matters. They have developed a craze for miracles.
      Swami Vivekananda had to struggle very hard for seven more years to attain
      perfection even after his vision of Mother Kali during his days with Sri

      "Remember God is the Inner Prompter, who impels you to action. You are
      only His instrument. Service of humanity is service of God." - Swami