    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 1999
      Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:44:04 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (69)

      We have been told that Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj will not be
      writing his personal letters in the DLS monthly journal anymore as someone
      told Gurudev that it was inappropriate. Concerned devotees who disagree
      with this can either sign on to the letter by Sri Don Briddell and family
      (message and letter attached below) or send your own letter to Gurudev and
      the editors. Please send your name, city and country to Rob Wilhelm at
      rob@... if you would like to sign on to the letter. It would be
      sad to see the DLS journal devoid of Gurudev's letter (which is the first
      thing that I read). If all of us express our concerns, I am sure something
      can be done about it. (Subscription information for the journal is at the
      end of the book-list at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/books.htm )

      This month's discourse is on the subject of Eternal Happiness by blessed
      and worshipful Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. This discourse
      is bound to cheer one up no matter how low one is feeling. The Holy Master
      points out the errors in our longings due to which we keep on suffering
      our whole life. The Master then goes on to tell us how to re-direct our
      longings so that we are satisfied for eternity. The discourse is at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/may98.htm

      Message from Don Briddell

      The following is an open letter to Swami Chidananda concerning his
      announcement that he will no longer put in personal letters in the DLS
      magazine as he has been told it is inappropriate. We disagree and ask him
      to reconsider. If you agree, would you print out this letter or make up
      your own and get your feeling to Swamiji and the editors of the magazine.
      Thanks. Don

      Swami Chidananda Maharaj

      10th May,1998

      Beloved Swamiji,

      We, the signators below are at a loss for words that someone has
      convinced you that personal letters are not within the preview of the DLS
      magazine. Your personal messages are the life-line to many of us, if not
      all of us. To think you cannot communicate with us in the official DLS
      publication is a disaster for devotees spread all over the world. You know
      you do not have time to send us personal messages. The magazine (and now
      the internet) is the only practical way you can speak personally with us.
      Please do not deny us this valuable contact with yourself. It is most
      distressing to think the publication will be devoid of your personal
      messages that often update us on what is happening in the DLS world. It's
      the first thing we turn to in the publication. You and Swami Krishnananda
      ARE the DLS. Without your presence in the magazine, we feel the distance
      all the more intensely. Please reconsider.

      Sincerely and devotedly,

      Don Briddell
      Moo Briddell
      Christiana Briddell
      Matt Briddell

      HOW TO EXPAND THE HEART: At the Satsang, the Master took out fruits
      from a bag to distribute to his disciples. They had been presented to him
      by someone. For the first two or three times, when he took his hand out of
      the bag with fruits in it, he found apples every time. But in his
      subsequent attempts, until the quantity in the bag was exhausted, he was
      able to get only the cheap variety of fruits, though big in size. The
      Master then remarked, "You should always give the best things to others,
      then only will your heart expand. But some people want to keep the best
      things for their personal use and give the worst to others."

      "Worry is uneasiness in mind by reason or cares or solicitude. It is
      harassing turmoil such as the worry of business, the worry of politics,
      the worry of a householder. All generally say: "The cares and worries of
      life are formidable". Worry kills a man. It destroys his hopes of life. It
      is a canker or cancer that slowly eats away a man. It wears you out. Do
      not worry over what is past. Forget it. No one has yet been able to claim
      any good thing through worry. Do not worry about things which are likely
      to happen; so often they really do not. The surest antidote or penicillin
      injection for worry is to keep busy. Do always something useful. Do the
      best and leave the rest to God. Do not worry. You are indeed blessed now."
      - Swami Sivananda