    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 1999
      Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:11:35 -0500 (CDT)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (68)

      Yesterday (May 3rd) was the 53rd birthday of Sri Swami Adhyatmanandaji
      Maharaj, a disciple of Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj. The service
      that Swamiji has rendered to the uplift of humanity is inestimable. The
      message below by Gurudev, given during Swamiji's 50th birthday, gives us
      an insight into the greatness of Swamiji. There is more information about
      Swamiji and also some beautiful pictures of Swamiji with Gurudev at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/saints/adhyatma.htm

      Swamiji will be visiting UK, USA and Canada between September and November
      of this year. The tentative schedule is attached at the end of this
      e-mail. The schedule is also at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/announce/adhyatma_v98.htm

      Offerings to Sri Swami Adhyatmanandaji Maharaj by the devotees of the
      Divine Life Society on the internet:

      1) Sri Swami Chidanandaji's book, The Gita Vision. This book consists of a
      series of lectures on the import of the first three chapters of the Gita.
      Useful insigts are given in this book by Gurudev on engaging in action
      with wisdom. This book can be downloaded from
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/download/download.htm

      2) Real Audio lecture by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj titled
      "Relevance of Social Welfare Activities to Spiritual Practice". In this
      soul-stirring lecture, Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj explains how we can
      spiritualize our activities. Swamiji's lecture can be accessed from our
      multimedia page at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/multimedia/multimedia.htm

      I am sure that the instructions provided by these two great disciples of
      the Holy Master will help all of us in integrating our daily activities
      with our spiritual life.

      PRESIDENT'S OFFICE
      THE DIVINE LIFE SOCIETY,
      H. Q. Shivanandanagar (U. P.)

      MESSAGE

      Worshipful Homage to the Eternal Reality, the Beginningless and Endless
      Cosmic Spirit Divine.

      Loving adorations to Gurudev Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj and all the Great
      Sages of Wisdom and illuminated Seers and Saints of the world,

      May the Divine Grace of the Eternal and Infinite Reality be upon Sri Swami
      Adhyatmanandaji Saraswati at this auspicious juncture, when he completes
      50th Birth Anniversary. May the Choicest Blessings of Beloved Sri Gurudev
      Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj be upon his grand disciple Sri Adhyatmanandaji
      now and always.

      May the Divine Grace of the Supreme Universal Soul and Guru-Kripa grant
      him long life, good health and strength, energy and inspiration to carry
      on the wonderful good work that he has been dynamically doing in the
      service of our Nation and people of Bharat Varsha as well as countries
      outside.

      The nationwise propagation of the Wisdom Teachings of Yoga and Vedanta and
      the effective spread of the knowledge of Srimad Bhagavat Gita that Sri
      Adhyatmanandaji has been doing over the past more than 20 years, has
      brought about an effective spiritual awakening amongst innumerable people
      of all age groups and varied sectors of our present day Indian Society.

      His highly praiseworthy work in the practical field of imparting
      scientific Yoga Training has spontaneously, evoked the admiration and
      gratitude of numerous highly placed persons directing the public sector
      organizations, like the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of
      Administration, Mussoorie the Institute of Administration Nainital the
      BHEL, Hardwar and Ranipet; the Pantanagar University, the Punjab
      Agricultural University (Ludhiana), the Patiata Punjabi University as also
      various units of our country's armed forces at Bareilly, Udhampur etc.

      He has done inestimable good work among the deep coal mines workers at
      Singharam Collieries, Andhra Pradesh and other institution in Bhadrachalam
      Palvancha as well as the Gujarat university and universities at Baroda and
      Saurastra.

      Sri Swamiji has been a great asset to the Divine Life Society especially
      in its field of Prachar-work ever since he joined the Sivananda Ashram in
      the year 1972. His deep compassion and understanding towards persons in
      distress and suffering and also his great spirit of service makes his life
      and work worthy of emulation. During his past twenty years of service of
      God and man, he has helped to salvage the life and career of many
      promising young persons who had become drug-addicts and some who had
      fallen into wrong company and taken to a career of violents. This is in
      my knowledge as I came into personal contact with such type of persons
      into whose lives Sri Swami Adhyatmanandaji had brought a new light, a new
      hope and a new direction! He helped them by making them aware of a higher
      meaning to their lives and a sense of purpose in their living.

      Sacred Bharat Varsha (India) and our Bharatiya Sanskruti (Indian culture)
      have in him a dedicated worker in the cause of their sincere propagation
      amongst the people of our present times.

      I am immensely happy that the Gujarat Divya Jivan Sangha is observing his
      Golden Jubilee Birth-day anniversary - with special programme at
      Ahmedabad, the capital of Gujarat. I am glad to send my very best good
      wishes in the form of this message for their Special Golden Jubilee
      Souvenir that they are bringing out upon this occasion.

      May God bless Sri Adhyatmanandaji and make him shine with the light of a
      really Divine Life! As he enters into the 51st year, having completed half
      century of his earth life, I offer him my felicitations and pray that he
      may live to be hundred years so that numerous sincere seeking souls may be
      benefitted by his "Janata - Janardan Seva" (service to mankind).

      Jai Sivananda

      Swami Chidananda

      ADVICE TO A MUSLIM: Another visitor revealed that he was a Muslim.

      "Allah Ho Akbar" greeted the Master, and also quoted some other verses
      from the Holy Koran.

      "I have given ninety Names of Allah in a book," said the Master, and
      presented the particular book to him.

      "Should I spend the whole time in meditation?" enquired the Muslim seeker.

      "No," replied the Master, "have three sittings--in the morning, in the
      afternoon and at night, from half an hour to one hour each. At other times
      also you should remember the Lord and do selfless service. Do Japa slowly
      with feeling."

      "Ultimately sadhana (spiritual practice) means victory. Yoga-abhyasa
      (practice) means victory. Spiritual life means vicory!" - Swami Chidananda

      Tentative Schedule of Programs of

      H. H. Sri Swami Adhyatmanandaji Maharaj

      PLACE FROM TO LOCAL
      ORGANIZER'S
      CONTACT

      London, U.K. Sept 1, 1998 Sept 22, 1998 Sri Babubhai Amin
      Phone 01582606946

      Keedysville, Sept 24, 1998 Oct 1, 1998 Swamini Gurudevanandaji
      Maryland 6606 Hardwood Lane
      Keedysville, MD 21756
      Phone (301) 432-4918

      Corpus Oct 1, 1998 Oct 8, 1998 Sri Narendra Patel
      Christi, Ms. Neela Patel
      Texas P. O. Box 10211
      Corpus Christi, TX 78410
      Phone (512) 387-0941
      Fax (512) 241-5362

      Atlanta, Oct 8, 1998 Oct 15, 1998 Sri Sashikant Desai
      Georgia Dekalb Inn
      2608 Bouldercrest Road
      North Bergen, NJ 07110
      Phone (770) 968-7320

      Orlando, Oct 15, 1998 Oct 22, 1998 Sri Brahm Aggrawal
      Florida 7636 Apple Tree Circle
      Orlando, FL 32819
      Phone (407) 352-2889
      Fax (407) 352-2752

      Los Angeles, Oct 22, 1998 Oct 29, 1998 Sri Bharatbhai Rajgor
      California Shashtri
      Radha Krishna Temple
      12634 Pioneer Blvd
      Norwalk, CA 90650
      Phone (562)868-9059
      Navneet Desai (626)
      332-7770
      Sri Dhirubhai Patel (562)
      924-3921

      Charlotte, Oct 29, 1998 Nov 5, 1998 Sri Paresh Patel
      North 2926 Windsor Chase Drive
      Carolina Mathews, NC 28105
      Phone (704) 849-8622
      Fax (704) 289-2507

      Toronto, Nov 5, 1998 Nov 12, 1998 Sri Manubhai Patel
      Canada 1212 Winston Road
      Markham, ONTORIO L3R7C9
      (905) 475-5266

      Detroit, Nov 12, 1998 Nov 19, 1998 Sri Sunil Sekhri
      Michigan 3539 Delaware Drive
      Troy, MI 48084-1606
      Phone (248) 362-1624

      Chicago, Nov 19, 1998 Nov 26, 1998 Smt. Minal Naik
      Illinois 807 Wildwood Court
      Oak Brook, IL 60523
      Phone (630) 530-5950
      Fax (630) 834- 5279