    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1999
      Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 15:16:05 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (61)

      We are in the process of getting a domain name for our web-site. Gurudev,
      Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj has suggested any domain name containing
      Divine Life Society (dls), Ganga, Himalaya, Sivananda ..or any combination
      of these. It would be great if devotees and seekers could suggest a
      domain-name for us. Please send your suggestions to:
      Rob Wilhelm <rob@...>
      We are going to compile a list and we hope to get Gurudev to select one
      for us.

      We have uploaded a book by Holy Master Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      titled "God Exists" which was published in 1958. In this book, the Master
      gives philosophical and observational proofs of the existence of God. We
      added a 'Symposium' section to the web edition consisting mainly of
      lectures by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj. This book can be downloaded
      from our free books page at

      Attached at the bottom of this e-mail is a Spiritual Barometer by Sri
      Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj presented to us by Sri Swami Vivekayuktanandaji
      Maharaj. Sri Swamiji received this gift when Swamiji visited India in

      The Barometer can also be accessed from our web site at

      A Spanish translation is also available at

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      APPROACHING THE PRECEPTOR: "In ancient times pupils used to approach their
      spiritual preceptors with great humility, holding sacrificial sticks in
      their hands. Now the times has changed and the students are not as earnest
      and humble as in those days. When they talk to their preceptors, the
      present-day youth put their hands in their pockets and with gestures try
      to maintain their self-imposed dignity. The spirit of humility, devotion
      and sincerity is absent. To such people also I give instructions." The
      Master uttered these words casually, hinting how students should approach
      their preceptors in all sincerity.

      "Vigilant watchfulness of the potentiality of the ego arising is
      itself meditation. There is no other meditation. In that meditation the
      ego is prevented from arising. That vigilance itself is the inner light or
      insight and as long as it is shining bright the demon called ego doesn't
      arise. That is meditation. And that is also Self-realisation,
      God-realisation or liberation, whatever you wish to call it." - Swami

      Sadgurudev Bhagavan Sri Swami Sivananda Maharaj
      Founder of The Divine Life Society

      Here is an infallible barometer to find out the degree of your spiritual
      progress. How would you feel, if:

      (1) Your clean hands or best clothes are stained.
      (2) You stumbled down or commit a blunder and are laughed at.
      (3) You are hurt accidentally or stung by an insect or scorpion.
      (4) You suffer from illness or pain.
      (5) You do not succeed in your efforts.
      (6) You do not get a thing that you want, or find that some thing you
      possess is missing.
      (7) You are kept waiting for a long time by some other person.
      (8) You are insulted or abused for no reason.
      (9) Others fail in their duties towards you.
      (10) You suffer a loss or bereavement.

      If none of these can disturb your peace of mind and you are indifferent to
      them, you have won the struggle and achieved 50% self control. God sends
      trials and troubles to strengthen your character: Greet them and test

      Swami Sivananda

      Issued by Chandrasekhar
      DLS branch, Raurkela, Orissa, India, 1972.