    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 1999
      Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 21:41:34 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (60)

      This coming Thursday (Mar. 12) is the birthday of Sri Chaitanya
      Mahaprabhu. Lord Chaitanya is the incarnation of Lord Krishna who
      appeared 512 years ago in Bengal to propagate the chanting and singing
      (Sankirtan) of the Maha Mantra :
      Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
      Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
      Hare Rama Hare Rama
      Rama Rama Hare Hare.

      We have uploaded the biography of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu the embodiment
      of love and humility for the benefit of seekers at

      The Holy Master was very fond of chanting the Maha Mantra. Infact in
      December 1943, the Master started Akhanda Kirtan (continuous singing for
      24 hrs.) of the Maha Mantra for happiness and peace of the whole world at
      the DLS headquarters. And it has been going on non-stop ever since.

      The interview with Gurudev Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj on Brahmacharya
      (chastity) is now online at http://www.moksha.org/wie/j13/swami.html

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      HAVE TIME FOR GOD: "Are you doing Japa?" the Master asked a middle-aged
      gentleman who had come along with his wife.

      He replied, "Yes, Swamiji, I am doing Japa daily for ten minutes."

      "How many hours are there in a day?" retorted the Master. "And you give
      only ten minutes to God."

      Visitor: "I have to serve in an office. I leave the house at 9:30 a.m. and
      return only at 8 in the evening."

      Master: "Suppose you give this time to God."

      Visitor: "I am serving for the sake of the family."

      The Master, looking at his wife: "He says he is serving for his family."

      Wife: "Yes, he is serving for the family. But I am serving God; I am doing
      Japa and Pranayama."

      The Master (looking at the man): "Then she is more religious than you are!
      You will also get a share of her merit. It is rare to find such
      spiritually-inclined women today."

      "Always chant His name with devotion. Do Kirtan. This is the principle of
      Sadhana (spiritual practice) in Kali Yuga (the age of destruction)." -
      Swami Chidananda