    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 1999
      Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:14:54 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (59)

      We have uploaded 3 items to our website over the week. They are:

      1) Book - "How To Get Vairagya (Dispassion)?" by Holy Master Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj. It is at our free books page at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/download/download.htm

      Vairgaya is one of the four means to salvation (details on the four means
      are at http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/teachings/jnanayoga.htm )
      The Master has emphasized many times in his writings that Vairagya arising
      out of disappointments in life will not last long. In this book, the
      Master explains how to get Vairagya which is born of Viveka
      (discrimination).

      2) Essay - "Goal of Life is God-realisation" by Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj at http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/messages/goal.htm

      This is one of the Master's most inspiring writing taken from the
      introduction to his book, "Bliss Divine". It is a call to all of us to
      live life for the attainment of God in whom alone we can find Peace,
      Bliss and Knowledge. The Master says in his essay, "The wealth of the
      three worlds is nothing, mere straw, before the spiritual wealth, the
      wealth of Atma-Jnana (Self-Knowledge). The joy of the three worlds is a
      mere drop when compared to the ocean of bliss of the Self. The knowledge
      of all secular sciences is mere husk when compared to the Knowledge of the
      Self."

      A must read.

      3) Discourse for March '98 - "Sure Recipe for World Peace" by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/mar98.htm

      In this months discourse, the Master explains how to attain peace by the
      practice of religion. The Master also explains what the practice of
      religion really means.

      IMPRESSIONS OF PREVIOUS BIRTHS: A certain boy had run away from his home
      to Sivanandashram. After a few days his father also came to the Ashram in
      search of the boy.

      The Master remarked, "If anyone is missing from home people conclude that
      he must have gone to Sivanandashram and come here in search of him."

      Turning to the boy's father, the Master asked, "How did you know that your
      son is here?"

      "Only providentially," replied the father. "He was in the habit of reading
      your books."

      "Then I think I should not send books to anyone," the Master interrupted.

      "Your books are sold at Wheeler's Bookstall in Secunderabad," explained
      the father. He also informed the Master that his son had appeared for the
      Intermediate examination and that he was a bright boy enjoying two
      scholarships.

      The Master then said, "I have already asked him to go back to complete his
      studies. However, through your son you have had the good fortune of having
      a bath in the Ganges."

      "Not only a bath in the Ganges but also your Darshan," added the father.

      Turning to the boy, the Master commanded, "Go and complete your studies.
      Serve your parents."

      At this the boy's father intervened and said, "Swamiji teach him the glory
      of service to one's parents. Only after parents does the Guru come-Maitru
      devo bhava, pitru devo bhava, acharya devo bhava-mother is your God,
      father is your God, Guru is your God."

      To this the Master smilingly replied, "I also teach: 'Matha naasti, pitha
      naasti'-you have no mother or father-to bold spiritual aspirants with the
      spirit of renunciation."

      Then turning to the boy, the Master said, "The injunction, 'Matha naasti,
      pitha naasti' applies only in the end after one has attained dispassion
      and not now. Therefore go back and serve your parents."

      To the boy's father the Master said, "Do not perform his marriage, at
      least until he is employed, for he may run away like this and the other
      party may find fault with you. People act according to the impressions of
      their previous births. If the boy has Sannyas impressions there is no use
      compelling him to lead a worldly life."

      "Freedom from the consciousness of externality. This is called Vairagya.
      How can you abandon things? All things are there in front of you, like
      trees in a forest, stones in the jungle. There is nothing like abandonment
      of things, because they are internally related to you. Nobody can renounce
      anything, because everything in this world is connected to everything
      else. Then what is Vairagya? Vairagya is not renunciation of any object;
      it is impossible. Everything clings to you. But the idea that things are
      outside you, makes you get attached to them. This false attachment is
      Raga and its absence is Vi-raga. The condition of Viraga is Vairagya." -
      Swami Krishnananda