    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 1999
      Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:14:44 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (57)

      We have uploaded a new book by blessed and worshipful Gurudev Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj titled "A Call To Liberation" at our free books page

      This powerful book was released during the Christams retreat at Rishikesh
      last year. It is similar to Gurudev's book "Ponder These Truths",
      consisting of inspiring early morning meditation talks given in the
      Samadhi Hall of Holy Master Swami Sivanandaji's sacred Samadhi Shrine in
      Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh.

      May all readers of this book be blessed with the burning desire for

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      FAITH IN MANTRA NECESSARY: A man and his son came to the Ashram and stayed
      for a night. The next morning both of them came to the office for the
      Master's Darshan. The father enquired if the Master knew of any Yogi who
      could cure the disease of his son, who was suffering for a long time from
      a kind of fits which had defied all treatment. He also sought the Master's
      own advice to cure the malady.

      "I do not know of any such Yogi," replied the Master, and added, "I will
      give you a Mantra for Japa. It is the best of all tonics. It will give not
      only health and long life but liberation also. It is in praise of Lord

      Then the Master handed over to the visitor the leaflet containing the Maha
      Mrityunjaya Mantra*. He himself repeated the Mantra.

      The visitor received the leaflet with due respect. However, after some
      time he again enquired if the Master knew of any Yogi who could cure the

      "I do not know," replied the Master, and added," Try the Maha Mrityunjaya
      Mantra. You can repeat it. Make your son also repeat it."

      The Master then kept silent. The son and the father bowed to him and

      "Perhaps he has no faith in the Mantra," remarked the Master later.
      "People lack faith but blame the Mantra when they are not cured. Only
      those who enjoy the Lord's grace and whom God wants to heal will have
      faith, and they will be miraculously healed."

      * Om Tryambakam yajamahe
      Sugandhim pushtivardanam;
      Urvaarukamiva bandhanaan-
      Mrityormuksheeya maamritaat.

      "We worship the three-eyed One (Lord Siva) who is fragrant and who
      nourishes all beings; may He liberate me from death, for the sake of
      Immortality, even as the cucumber is severed from its bondage (of the

      "The Japa of a Mantra can bring the practitioner realisation of his
      highest goal even though he has no knowledge of the meaning of the Mantra.
      Only it will take a little more time. There is an indescribable power in
      the Name of God or Mantra. If you repeat the Mantra with concentration on
      its meaning you will attain God-consciousness quickly." - Swami Sivananda