Birthday of Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj (2011)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23 4:36 PM

      Today (September 8th) is the 124th birthday
      anniversary of revered Sri Swami Sivanandaji. In
      honour of this occasion we uploaded an article titled
      "Divine Life" from Sri Swami Chidanandaji's book
      "Swami Sivananda: Saint, Sage and Godman". This
      article is at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/siva_divinelife.htm

      Excerpts from the same are attached below for our
      reflection.

      An article by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji titled "The
      Branches of the Divine Life Society" has been posted
      at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_194.html

      Holy Master Gurudev Swami Sivanandaji regarded the
      living of your daily life as important, if not more
      important than the practice of your spiritual Sadhana.
      He gave, not without any reason, a very significantly
      true message of 'Divine Life'. His institution is The
      Divine Life Society, its magazine is The Divine Life
      and he gave the name Divine Life to his message. He
      did not call it this Yoga or that Yoga or
      transcendental meditation or any other name. This name
      that he gave has very much relevance, very much
      connection and relationship with your life. Gurudev
      regarded the living of your life equally important as
      the practice of your spiritual Sadhana, your Yoga,
      Vedanta and meditation. Perhaps he regarded the former
      more important than your spiritual life. Because if
      your life, your daily living is proper, then alone
      your Sadhana will proceed unhampered and be
      progressive and it will yield fruits, and it will go
      on yielding fruits. You don't have to wait till it
      culminates in spiritual Realisation. It would go on
      yielding fruits right now. It would go on giving
      flowers and yielding fruits step by step. So Gurudev
      called it Divine Life. If your life is lived rightly,
      your Sadhana will be fruitful, progressive and
      effective. If your life is not lived rightly, the
      fruit or result will not be commensurate with your
      effort-much effort but little fruit. How can you
      afford to do that? How much time you have in your life
      span to go on doing such effort? No one knows. We are
      here now, but what moment we will not be here God only
      knows. Therefore we cannot afford to make a lot of
      effort in spiritual Sadhana without getting the
      desired results. Your Sadhana must yield fruits. So
      Gurudev rightly laid great emphasis on our day-to-day
      life.

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/