Birthday of Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj (2011)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2011

      Today (September 24th) is the 95th birthday
      anniversary of revered Sri Swami Chidanandaji. A new
      book titled "Memories of Swami Chidananda" was
      recently released. The book contains close to 200
      accounts by devotees on their experiences with Sri
      Swamiji. I have included below one such account for
      our reflection today.

      The real Chidananda is within you
      By Swami Jitamohananda, Orissa

      I was fervently praying to the Lord to send me my Guru
      who must be a self realized saint. My devout prayer
      and intense aspiration got fulfilled very soon as I
      was initiated by Pujya Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj in
      1978 at Sunabeda.

      I was a beginner in the spiritual path; my devotion
      and faith were not so strong. I did not have the
      conviction that the Guru is antaryami. But one
      incident changed my life. In 1981, I went to Sivananda
      Ashram, Rishikesh, to attend Sadhana Saptaha with
      Sankarshan Mangaraj of Puri. One day, while returning
      to the ashram after visiting Geeta Bhawan and
      Paramartha Niketan, we found a beggar asking for a
      coin. As a beginner in divine life, I was religiously
      practising Gurudev's instruction of "GIVE". I searched
      my pockets for a coin. There was no coin and I found
      only one two rupee note. I was reluctant to part with
      two rupees for one beggar only as I could satisfy
      eight beggars with those two rupees, converting it
      into small coins. I was indecisive and did not give
      anything to that beggar. I was unhappy with myself. We
      reached Samadhi Mandir for attending the afternoon
      programme. Param Pujya Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj was
      addressing the sadhaks. We took our seats in the back.
      To my utter surprise, Pujya Swamiji Maharaj was
      explaining the teachings of Swami Sivananda on the
      topic "GIVE". Swamiji said, "Giving is a sadhana. It
      has to be performed with large heart and proper
      understanding. Suppose you have gone to the other side
      of the Ganges. A beggar approaches you for a coin; you
      search your pockets and can bring out only one two
      rupee note. Coins are not available to you. You are
      then indecisive and go on thinking that instead of
      satisfying eight beggars, why should I give it to one?
      This is not proper. Who is that beggar? He is Lord
      Narayana. If you are hungry, can you appease your
      hunger with a morsel of rice? How pitiable it is!
      While giving, it is proper only to fulfill one's need
      to the best of our capacity. See always the Lord in
      the receiver. Then 'GIVING' will be converted into
      direct worship of God who dwells in you and in him and
      who is both antarayami and sarvavyapak".

      I was stupefied and confounded as to what was
      happening. It was beyond my intellect to understand.
      How the master knew everything--tit-bit of my actions-
      -on the other side of the Ganges? My thought process,
      in no time, touched the yogic mind of Sri Gurudev.
      Again, I was caught. In reply to the question in my
      mind, the compassionate master went on telling, "I am
      only dummy Chidananda sitting here and talking to you.
      You are seeing my physical form. But the real
      Chidananda is within you. I dwell in you as antaryami.
      I see everything, whatever you think and talk and
      wherever you are, I look after you."

      This unforgettable incident was a turning point in my
      spiritual life. From that moment, I was determined to
      practise "GIVING" as instructed by Sri Gurudev. How
      can I express the inexpressible blissful feelings of
      mine! My experience is not a new experience. The world
      knows that Swami Chidananda is antaryami and
      sarvavyapak.

      "Memories of Swami Chidananda" is currently being made
      available for Rs 250. The original price is Rs 500.
      For more information on this book please go to:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/eo20.htm

      Kindly note that Aradhana discount for books published
      by The Divine Life Society comes to an end on Sep 30.
      Prices will revert to normal after this period. Our
      bookstore is at:
      http://www.dlsbooks.org/

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/