    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 5:33 PM
      Om Namah Sivaya!

      Today, March 2nd, is the holy celebration of
      Mahasivaratri. There are several articles on our
      website on the significance of this festival. They
      are:

      1) Shivaratri by Sri Swami Sivanandaji at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/shivaratri.htm

      2) Lord Siva, the Master Yogin by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_187.html

      3) Siva: The Mystic Night by Swami Krishnanandaji at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_03.html

      In addition, there is also a book by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji titled "Lord Siva and His Worship"
      available for free download at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/download/download.htm#lordsiva

      Please do checkout the Shivaratri page at our DLS HQ
      site:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/newsupdates/?cat=5

      Book Synopsis

      Lord Siva and His Worship
      By Swami Sivananda

      This is a most valuable and instructive book for the
      aspirants, particularly for the devotees of Lord Siva.
      It is full of instructions on practical Sadhana for
      attaining Siva-Tattva or God-realisation.

      The secrets of Siva Tandava, Sakti Yoga, etc., are
      very nicely presented. The translation of the Saiva
      Upanishads is a beautiful addition. The lives of Siva
      Acharyas, the Bhaktas and the Nayanars are inspiring
      and soul-stirring. A study of their lives will make
      one's life sublime and holy.

      Up to this time there has been no such presentation on
      this subject. The philosophical portion is highly
      illuminating and helpful to the readers. The book
      contains the essence of all Saiva Puranas. The book is
      written in a very lucid and clear style. It must be
      studied by all religious-minded persons as it is of
      solid worth from the spiritual point of view.

      For more information, please visit:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es95.htm

      THE MASTER'S COMPASSION: An old lady from Madras came
      to the Ashram. She was very sickly and could hardly
      walk. Unfortunately, there was no vacant room
      available in the Ashram at the time and she was asked
      to seek accommodation elsewhere along the Ganges bank.

      When she went for the Master's Darshan, she said,
      "Swamiji, I came all the way to be with you and to
      attend Satsang but there is no accommodation here. I
      don't think I will be able to come daily and have your
      Darshan."

      The Master asked the secretary, "Is there no place?"
      "Swamiji, all the rooms are occupied by the visitors.
      There are no rooms available."

      The Master, to whom writing meant so much in his
      service of humanity, immediately replied, "Vacate the
      writing room and put the lady there."

      As he was proceeding to the Satsang he realised that
      the lady was not able to walk properly. He came back
      and instructed, "Bring a chair. Put the lady in it and
      bring her to the Satsang. Let her enjoy Satsang also."

      "Lord Siva is the height of austerity, the master
      yogin portrayed as seated in a lotus pose as the king
      of all ascetics - not that he has a desire for self-
      control, but he is self-control itself. He does not
      practice self-control; self-control itself is
      symbolised in the personality of Lord Siva." - Swami
      Krishnananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/