    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2010
      Om Namo Bhagavate Dattatreyaya!

      Today, December 20th, is the appearance day of Load
      Dattatreya who is a manifestation of the trinity,
      Brahma, Siva and Vishnu. In honour of this occasion we
      uploaded an article by Sri Swami Sivanandaji on
      Dattatreya at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/dattatreya.htm

      In addition, the following articles on Lord Dattatreya
      are also available on our website:

      1) Dattatreya Jayanti by Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/datta_jay.htm

      2) The Divine Trinity by Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/datta_chida.htm

      3) Lord Dattatreya - Master Par Excellence by Sri
      Swami Krishnanandaji
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_19.html

      The following article has been uploaded to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji's site:
      The Bhagavadgita - A synthesis of Thought and Action
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_182.html

      Book Synopsis

      Ethical Teachings
      By Swami Sivananda

      The reading public is too well aware that a distinct
      feature of Sri Swami Sivanandaji's forceful writings
      is that he does not merely write on a subject but
      primarily writes about it directly to the reader. His
      interest in a subject is mainly with regard to its
      practical implications in connection with man. He is
      the saint and awakener and as such he makes a study of
      man his foremost concern. This work, "Ethical
      Teachings," more than ever testifies to this. The
      reader will find that this volume is not merely of a
      definitional and informative character but treats of
      ethics as specially practically manifest in the daily
      conduct of everyone.

      Works on ethics there have been. More often than not
      they dealt purely with the theoretical aspect of it,
      various types of ethical theory, evolution of ethical
      thought in the course of history, etc. What man today
      urgently needs is to know how exactly he ought to act
      and live his life if he were to conform to the basic
      principles of goodness and virtue. This need, the
      present volume, most eminently fulfils.

      A glance at the contents will reveal how no aspect of
      the subject has been left untouched. Extremely
      valuable instructions are given to the students,
      householders, retired men and ascetics alike. The
      section headed 'Domestic Ethics' contains the most
      precious teachings to ladies in particular. The
      Lawyer, Doctor, Trader, Industrialist and Politician
      will find sagely advice from the pen of a saint who
      has known the very essence of true Dharma. The final
      Chapter, bearing the name of the book, is a veritable
      treasure-house wherein is to be found a wealth of the
      most precious gems of teachings. And as is invariably
      the case, the revered author has dealt with all doubts
      and difficulties that are likely to arise in the
      actual following of these precepts. We have the
      greatest pleasure in putting this invaluable work
      before the public, for we feel perfectly confident
      that it is going to be of utmost, and immense help in
      making the human nature grow into the Divine and in
      ushering in a blessed new era in the land.

      There is more information at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es48.htm

      THEFT: Two musicians, one a semi-blind man, attended
      the night Satsang. They were asked to sing before the
      Master. After Satsang the Master instructed the
      secretary to give them shelter for the night.
      "Let them rest here tonight. They can depart in the
      morning."

      As there was no accommodation available at the time,
      the room in which the harmonium and tabla were kept
      was given to them. The next morning the two
      disappeared with the harmonium!

      When the matter was reported to the Master, he
      jocularly commented, "Why did he not take the tabla
      also? Poor man, he is semi-blind! He must have wanted
      to earn some money."

      "Dattatreya gives a list of twenty-four Gurus,
      regarding himself as a humble student of the whole of
      creation. He also teaches us the lesson that the
      higher is one's knowledge, the humbler is that person.
      The larger is our wisdom, the smaller we look in the
      eyes of people. The nearer we are to God, the farther
      we appear from people's eyes." - Swami Krishnananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/subscribe.html