    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2010

      Friday, December 17th, is Gita Jayanti. This marks the
      birthday of the Bhagavad Gita. In honour of this
      occasion we posted Sri Swami Sivanandaji's 1942 Gita
      Jayanti message at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/gitamessage.htm

      We have also uploaded an article by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji titled "Philosophy of Proverbs" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/apr2010.htm

      Please do check out the page on this week's book
      "Essence of Vedanta". It has an excellent introduction
      to Vedanta:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es293.htm

      The following book chapters have been uploaded to Sri
      Swami Krishnanandaji's site:

      1) Book chapters from "Universality of Being":
      Chapter 3: Things Are Not Outside
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/universality/universality_03.html

      Chapter 4: The Seven Gatekeepers to the Absolute
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/universality/universality_04.html

      2) Book chapters from "The Process of Yoga":
      Chapter 5: The Stages of Practice
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/process/process_5.html

      Chapter 6: The Process of Meditation
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/process/process_6.html

      Book Synopsis

      Essence of Vedanta
      By Swami Sivananda

      Vedanta is the crest jewel of all schools of
      philosophical thought which preaches the Unity of
      Existence, or Oneness of Consciousness. It proclaims
      that all these innumerable beings are, in essence, one
      and the same. It thrills and widens the heart,
      brightens the intellect, and makes one experience the
      Absolute Being, the Only Reality. Goodness of heart
      and intelligence of brain, which the whole world
      considers as a marvellous possession, is superseded by
      the Divinity of Absolute Consciousness through direct
      intuitional cognition of the Universal Soul!

      "Essence of Vedanta" is a priceless jewel from the
      diadem of Sivananda Literature.

      Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj, unlike many other
      Vedantins, is a practical Vedantin. This glorious
      characteristic runs through all his writings. This
      wonderful scripture bears witness to it.

      Students of Vedanta and seekers after Truth who have
      chosen the path of Jnana (Knowledge), will find in
      this volume a great practical guide to Self
      Realisation.

      There is more information at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es293.htm

      IS GOD PARTIAL?: A bunch of litchis was presented to
      the Master at the night Satsang. The devotees present
      were eagerly hoping that he would distribute the fruit
      to them. However, he took the whole bunch and gave it
      to one person only. A packet of sweets also was handed
      to the Master. Again he gave the whole packet to
      another person. The devotees were disappointed.

      This unusual behaviour raised a doubt in the mind of
      Hridayananda Mataji and she questioned the Master
      about it.

      "Swamiji, I am not able to understand why yesterday
      you did not distribute the litchis and sweets equally
      to those present. Could you kindly explain to me why
      you did this?"

      "Oh! You think I am partial?" interjected the Master.

      "No, I do not know, Swamiji. I would like to know."

      "Is God partial or not?"

      "He is impartial, Swamiji."

      "Does He love everyone alike?"

      "Yes, certainly."

      "Then why are so many people poor and starving while
      others are very rich? Are they not all His children?
      Why is He partial to some? You don't call God partial
      but you feel that I am partial. Do you think that I am
      acting with my own mind? It is the Cosmic Mind that
      directed me to give the whole bunch of litchis to that
      person. I did not decide beforehand that I was going
      to give it to him. Perhaps he deserved it. That is why
      God has done this. Do you understand now?"

      "Yes, Swamiji."

      "In advanced stages of meditation, two types of
      reaction are set up - the objective reaction from the
      cosmic forces themselves, and the subjective reaction
      from the potencies of desires that are lying unseen
      and unfelt in the recesses of our own personality. So
      when we enter into deep meditation, we have to be
      prepared to meet these encountering powers within as
      well as without. If we read the lives of saints, great
      masters who practised yoga and underwent the hardships
      of meditation, we will know what these hardships could
      be. They never leave a person, whatever be his
      advance." - Swami Krishnananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/subscribe.html