    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2010

      Today, November 5th, is the Deepavali celebration
      (festival of lights). There are several articles on
      our website on the significance of Deepavali. They
      are:

      1) Deepavali by Sri Swami Sivananda at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/deepavali.htm

      2) The Significance of Dipavali by Sri Swami
      Chidananda at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/nov2007.htm

      3) Dipavali-The Festival of Lights by Sri Swami
      Krishnananda at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_155.html

      We would like to take this opportunity to wish
      everyone on this list a very Happy Deepavali.

      Book Synopsis

      Essence of Gita in Poems
      By Swami Sivananda

      The Bhagavad Gita has been acclaimed to be a gospel of
      life. It embodies in itself a solution to the
      immediately pressing problems of man and carries a
      wonderful message of encouragement, hope, cheer and
      consolation. It is a direct approach to divinise the
      entire nature of man.

      As a writer of poetry, Sri Swamiji Maharaj occupies
      undoubtedly a unique place. His versification has a
      pulse of its own, and it is ever fresh in the vitality
      that echoes the song of a realised soul. Each verse,
      when read with a slow full voice, lifts us into the
      domain of its rhythmical beauty and grandeur and makes
      us feel the presence of the Lord bestowing on His
      devout disciple, Arjuna, the celestial teachings of
      the Gita.

      There is more information at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es299.htm

      NO COMPULSION: Once, when the Master introduced
      saltless diet on Saturdays, some inmates kept ready
      with them, even from the previous evening, small
      packets of powdered salt.

      "I shall no more insist and force upon you all any
      instruction, however good it may be," he said, and
      left it at that.

      "Dipavali is a festival of lights, is a celebration of
      the rise of knowledge, and also the celebration of the
      victory of the sattvic, divine elements in us over the
      rajasic and tamasic and baser elements which are the
      real asuras - which are the rakshasas, this
      Narakasura, etc. The whole world is within us. The
      whole cosmos can be found in a microscopic form in our
      own bodies. Ram-Ravan yudh and Narakasura - everything
      is going on inside us. Dipavali is thus also a
      psychological context wherein we contemplate in our
      own selves the holy occasion of self-mastery, self-
      subjugation, self-abnegation, and all those spiritual
      virtues which are regarded as lustre, as it were,
      radiance, as it were, emanating from Self-knowledge."
      - Swami Krishnananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/subscribe.html