    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11 4:05 PM
      Om Sri Durgayai Namah!

      The holy nine day worship of the Divine Mother
      commenced yesterday (8/10/10). This is the greatest
      Hindu festival in which God is adored as Mother. We
      have several articles on our websites on the
      significance of this festival. They are:

      1) Navaratri by Sri Swami Sivananda at:

      2) The Terrible Kaali, The Benign Mother by Sri Swami
      Chidananda at:

      3) The Esoteric Significance of the Devi Mahatmya by
      Sri Swami Krishnananda at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      Book Synopsis

      The Essence of Bhakti Yoga
      By Swami Sivananda

      In the Essence of Bhakti Yoga has been laid out in
      great detail the course of Bhakti Yoga from start to
      finish. Every milestone had been clearly indicated.
      Every next step towards the goal has been carefully
      guided. Every chance of getting into despondency has
      been eliminated and by going into minute details every
      effort has been made to rescue the despondent soul.

      Bhakti Yoga is not without its method, though it is
      the method of striking the fountain of emotional
      sweetness and rightly guiding the leaping nectar of
      devotional striving. Properly canalised it leads it
      leads to speedy self-fulfilment. As such, Bhakti Yoga
      is a hidden science.

      To shed light on this difficult Science is beyond the
      powers of the intellect, and the imagination, and is
      possible only for one who has experimented the
      principles of this Science on himself and realised its

      The Essence of Bhakti Yoga, coming as it does from the
      inspired pen of Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj is,
      therefore, a rare opportunity for the reading public
      and the surest guide for the Bhakti Yogi aspirant. It
      unfolds in the simplest language the secrets of the
      emotions of "Bhakti" or Divine Love. It analyses the
      whole psychology of Bhakti and explains the
      significance of every element of it. It gives ample
      guidance in the difficult art of building those
      elements which constitute the psychosis of God-
      consciousness. It makes the practice of God's presence

      For more information, please visit:

      THE MASTERS LOVE: Sometimes, students with powerful
      cravings criticised the Master, abused the Ashram and
      the whole of the Himalayas and left the place in
      anger. The Master prayed for them. Those who went out
      thus often came back after a while with a change of
      heart. The Master would welcome them back with great
      love and affection.

      "It is not through compulsion or rules or regulations
      that individuals can be transformed into divine
      beings," he would declare. "They must have convincing
      experiences of their own."

      "Upon this occasion of the external worship of the
      Divine Mother during the Navaratri, let us remind
      ourselves again and again that real worship of the
      Mother is inner allegiance to the benign destructive
      force of divine Shakti in its work of breaking our
      impure personality and giving us a brilliant divine
      personality. Let us remember again and again that real
      Mother-worship is our inner co-operation and our inner
      loyalty to the Durga Shakti which is doing its work of
      breaking our egoism, breaking our human weaknesses,
      defects and limitations, so that upon a field that is
      thus cleared, we may build a path of divine life, of
      spiritual consciousness, to lead us to immortality and
      perfection. Let us all pray to the Divine Mother that
      She may give us all the necessary strength and
      inspiration and inner power, to put ourselves whole-
      heartedly upon Her side and join in the work of the
      Divine Shakti in regenerating us, in annihilating our
      Pashutwa and bestowing upon us Divya Jyotis (Divine
      Light)." - Swami Chidananda

      Other Sivananda related lists:
      1) Sivananda Daily Readings

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works