Birthday of Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj (2010)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2010
      Glory to Gurudev, Our Ideal
      By H. H. Sri Swami Chidananda

      Speech on the Thirty-Ninth Birthday Celebrations
      of Swami Chidananda

      I am happy that this Birthday was celebrated.

      At first I told Sri Swamiji that I might be excused
      for this. But, on account of these celebrations we
      have just now heard the essence of all scriptures, the
      core of the teachings of all saints of all climes and
      ages from his lips. We have heard the Upanishads in
      simple language.

      We have heard the Quran, the Bible, the Gita, the
      Puranas - all the scriptures given in simple,
      forceful, thrilling, fiery, inspiring, direct living
      words from Gurudev. For this one thing, it is
      worthwhile that the Birthday was celebrated. I can't
      say how happy I am.

      What countless merits of previous births have given us
      this wonderful opportunity of sitting in this sacred
      place and hearing this fire coming out of this living
      blaze of infinite spirituality, infinite divinity that
      Gurudev embodies. What you have heard just now is
      something that cannot be described. He has simply
      poured out the divine light into us. Every word is a
      flaming fire of living spirituality. And, as Gurudev
      has said, we will get up tomorrow morning the same old
      people. To ensure against this, God has sent Swami
      Venkatesananda. Every word is now recorded and it will
      be printed. I pray to each one of you to treasure this
      copy of the printed report of Swamiji's speech. Read
      it daily, the first thing in the morning and the last
      thing before going to be bed. This one talk of his is
      sufficient for our whole life, to give us the ideal
      pattern for our whole life, to transform us from jivas
      to infinite satchidananda atman, to elevate us to the
      Highest Divinity.

      Soon after Swami Krishnanandaji's Birthday
      celebrations, I had requested Sri Gurudev that in my
      case the birthday celebrations may be dropped. After
      some days he said "Whether you want it or not, I am
      going to celebrate it." Then he gave me a wonderful
      prescription. This has been a test; and by Gurudev's
      Grace I have passed. "Why do you worry?" he said, "Let
      them celebrate the birthday. Think it is someone
      else's birthday. Feel: I am Akarta, Abhokta. Be a
      witness." This spiritual pill he gave me. That is the
      spirit I have maintained the whole morning. But, just
      now I am all the more convinced that it is somebody's
      birthday. You have all given such a wonderful
      description of this person called Chidananda that I
      think some day I would like to meet him.

      You have all praised the spirit of selfless service.
      When we have got the example of Gurudev, how can we
      not do such service? Among Swamiji's papers, I got a
      small diary which he had maintained in Swarga Ashram;
      it is printed in the book "Light Fountain." In it you
      find items like "Serve Bhangis, Serve rogues. Go to
      the .... Kshettar where you are insulted." He made all
      this part of his discipline. When this dazzling light
      is before us, is it possible that we can do anything
      else but follow some of it?

      You may give me credit for one thing: I am trying to
      obey Swamiji. But that is my duty as a disciple.

      All goodness is in God. All glory be to God. We will
      only glorify Him by trying to manifest goodness in our
      nature, in our thoughts, words, feelings, sentiments.
      If we look at Swamiji, we can understand to what great
      perfection and magnificent extent he is really
      glorifying God in and through his life. I am humbly
      trying to obey what Swamiji says.

      You are all admiring a statue. The glory belongs to
      the sculptor! It is the wisdom and the genius of the
      sculptor that is visible in the statue. You forget all
      about the sculptor and go on saying all sorts of
      things about the statue! The sculptor is there in
      Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. The divine engineer of
      Swami Chidananda is Swami Sivananda. All glorification
      is due to those lotus-feet.

      Therefore, let us always enshrine in the temple of our
      hearts the ideal that is Sri Gurudev, a perfect
      example of living divinity that we have before us. Let
      us meditate upon him.

      Dhyanamulam guror murtih
      Pujamulam guroh padam
      Mantramulam guror vakyam
      Mokshamulam gurorkripa

      Whatever he says should be our gospel. Let us make our
      entire life a living, practical and dynamic worship of
      this divine idol before us in the form of Sri Gurudev,
      so that we shall be able to fulfil the purpose of our
      existence, viz. the realisation of the inner nature of
      Sri Gurudev in this very life. If we, indescribably
      lucky disciples at the feet of this divinity, are
      fortunate to accomplish that, our lives will be doubly
      blessed. All praise, all glory to God. All praise, all
      glory to Gurudev Bhagawan, between whom and God there
      is no distinction. Bhagawan is nirakara, nirguna,
      avyakta; Gurudev is sakara, saguna, vyakta. Let us
      humbly offer our prayers at his divine feet that he
      may bless us that in this very life we may try to work
      up towards the fulfilment of our ideal that he is for
      us all.

      *************

      The above speech is available at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/gurudev_ideal.htm

      From the book "Chidanandam: The Joy of Knowing Him"
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/ec15.htm

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/