Birthday of Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj (2010)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2010

      Today (September 8th) is the 123rd birthday
      anniversary of revered Sri Swami Sivananda. In honour
      of this occasion we uploaded an article titled "Guru
      and Disciple" from his biography: Sivananda--Biography
      of a Modern Saint. The article is at:

      Excerpts from the same are attached below for our

      An inspiring discourse by Sri Swami Krishnananda
      titled "Remembering Swami Sivananda" has been posted

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      Day and night the question of his disciples' welfare,
      growth and progress--secular as well as spiritual--
      filled Swamiji's mind. Many a time he would break
      forth into a passionate appeal to his beloved
      students, urging them with fiery words to root out all
      traces of personal considerations and give themselves
      wholly to the noble ideal of service of the world. He
      would thrillingly depict to them the glory of
      'selfless service' as the greatest and grandest of all
      yogas and worship of the Almighty. Like all aspirants,
      they would at times feel dismayed at the endlessness
      and the vastness of human problems and suffering, so
      then Swamiji would cheer them with the emphatic
      assurance that a life spent in the cause of universal
      service was never a failure. He would stir them up by

      Never mind whether realisation comes or not. Put forth
      every effort at attaining ethical improvement to
      render yourselves perfect for the service of Man. See
      God in Man. Look upon Man as God. If your concept of
      God includes the idea that He is all-pervading, then
      why can't you see Him in all creatures? What makes you
      hesitate in translating your belief into action? You
      will have to give up such notions that He is available
      only behind locked doors and closed eyes. First feel
      His presence in everyone and everything as you serve;
      then see whether or not He shines of His own accord in
      the chambers of your heart. When the heart is not yet
      free of all impurity and the lower nature rid of its
      dross, how can spiritual experience come to you? Until
      you have rendered your nature perfect, is it possible
      to realise the truth of a Being who is the very
      essence of perfection? First root out egoism, anger,
      hatred, greed and duplicity, by sincere selfless
      service. Even if you manage to do some little good to
      ten human beings, if you succeed in destroying one
      evil trait completely and develop fully a single noble
      virtue, feel certain that your life has not been lived
      in vain. Even this, ten people in a million hardly
      ever achieve. What if you do not have samadhi and

      Cheer yourselves up! Apply heart and soul to this
      work. I guarantee that you will feel blessed and
      happy. Feel not dissatisfied with your lot or be
      downcast about your progress. Act upon my word. Have I
      not thought about your spiritual welfare? Why, if you
      could only know you will see that day and night, every
      moment, my heart is fluttering with concern over your

      Other Sivananda related lists:
      1) Sivananda Daily Readings

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works