    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010

      Today (July 25th) is the celebration of Guru Purnima.
      There are several articles on this festival on our
      website. They are:

      1) Guru Purnima by Sri Swami Sivananda
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/guru_purnima.htm

      2) Guru Purnima by Sri Swami Chidananda
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jul2006.htm

      3) Veda Vyasa - The Paragon of Power and Wisdom by Sri
      Swami Krishnananda
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_08.html

      In addition, we uploaded an article titled "You Are A
      Living Light Of Guru's Ideals" by Sri Swami Chidananda
      at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jul2010.htm

      There is also a new discourse titled "The Guru-
      Disciple Relationship" at Sri Swami Krishnanandaji's
      site:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_168.html

      Book Synopsis

      Essays In Philosophy
      By Swami Sivananda

      This illuminating volume has been specially written
      for those who are soaked in Western philosophic
      thought and the scientific method of arriving at
      conclusions. These Essays in Philosophy are not based
      on mere belief or superstition, not on mere scriptural
      injunctions and declarations, but on good reason
      backed by the personal experiences of a living Sage of
      Self-realisation. As such, they are bound to appeal
      to, and transform, people of all shades of thought and
      opinion.

      These essays were first serially published in the
      monthly Journal of the Durban Branch of the Divine
      Life Society, THE PATH TO GOD-REALISATION, and have
      had a very good reception in South Africa, especially
      in view of the fact that the use of Sanskrit technical
      terms, inevitable in most dissertations based on
      Oriental Scriptures, has been kept to the barest
      minimum.

      We do hope that this presentation will appeal to the
      mind and the heart of modern English-educated youth of
      all nations.

      For more information, please visit:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es42.htm

      LOVE OF SERVICE: The Ashram workers sometimes delayed
      the return of the manuscript note-books entrusted to
      them for typing. So the Master used more and more
      notebooks. He kept some in the writing room and some
      in the office, so that at any moment he would be able
      to write. He kept several pens, all filled with ink
      and ready. He kept a pair of spectacles in the writing
      room, another in the almirah, a third in the office.
      No time should be lost in searching for them. Work was
      of paramount importance. He kept several torches, too-
      -one near the bed, one near his writing desk, another
      near the easy chair on which he rested. Even at dead
      of night, if a good thought came, it should at once be
      recorded. It should not be lost to the world.

      The Master did not use a chair and table. He found it
      inconvenient. He could not spread his books and
      notebooks comfortably on the table. So he squatted on
      the ground, with a broad writing desk in front of him.

      Sometimes he undertook the typing himself. The entire
      matter for the book, Sure Ways for Success in Life and
      God-realisation was typed by him straight on the
      machine without a draft.

      To the Master there were no moments of inspiration and
      depression. His knowledge welled up from within. His
      one difficulty was that he did not find sufficient
      time to express all his thoughts.

      Once he said to a student, "I cannot stop writing. I
      will write till I become blind. If I become blind, I
      will then dictate and somebody will write for me. Thus
      I will continue my mission of dissemination of
      spiritual knowledge till the end of my life."

      In February 1950, the Master developed an unyielding
      pain in the right arm. It was suggested to him that it
      would help if he reduced his writing for a couple of
      days. But he would not listen.

      "That is death while living," he said, and went on to
      add, "It will be all right, but I will have to go on
      with the writing."

      The Master recorded his thoughts in various notebooks
      as and when they arose. Some thoughts would cross his
      mind when he was on the Ganges bank. He would rush to
      his room and record them. He would develop the ideas
      later on. Or he would be relaxing in a chair. A sudden
      flash of thought would send him scurrying to his
      writing desk. Often he carried his manuscript book
      with him. While climbing the height leading to the
      Ashram Bhajan hall, he would register a thought. While
      running round the Bhajan hall for a little exercise,
      he would dictate a few thoughts to the stenographer.

      The Master did not look to grammatical perfection or a
      high literary standard. When some mistakes were
      pointed out in his writings he commented, "I do not
      pay much attention to the beauty of the language and
      the rules of grammar. Ideas are important. There is a
      peculiar power in my writings. To revise, correct and
      improve the language is the job of the scholars,
      pundits and grammarians."

      The Master's principal aim was to write rapidly and
      disseminate as much spiritual knowledge in as short a
      time as possible. "I believe in maximum spiritual good
      to the public in the shortest space of time," he wrote
      in a letter to his disciple, Swami Paramananda, who
      was getting his first books printed in Madras.

      "You must make the vibrant spirituality of the guru
      live within you. You should live within you the
      sublime idealism and the spiritual teachings of the
      guru, his loftiness of character and conduct. His
      divine nature and the divine way he lived his life
      should be relived in you. Looking at you, the world
      should understand the divinity of your guru." - Swami
      Chidananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings& Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/