    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15 5:16 PM

      March 16th marks the beginning of Vasanta Navaratri.
      The significance of this festival has been explained
      by Sri Swami Sivanandaji in the following article:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/vasantanava.htm

      The following book chapters were uploaded to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji's site:

      1) From "True Spiritual Living":
      * Chapter 19: The Method of Our Practice
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/living/living_19.html

      2) From "Commentary on the Panchadasi"
      * Discourse 16: Chapter 3: Pancha Kosha Viveka -
      Discrimination of the Five Sheaths (Verses 21-37)
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/panchadasi/pan_16.html

      Book Synopsis

      Divine Life For Children
      By Swami Sivananda

      The child is the father of man. It is often the first
      ideas which strike the mind of a child and the nature
      of the impressions and thought-waves coming in contact
      with the tender intellect for the first time that make
      up and contribute to the being of the later man. It
      was the perfect all-round training that Shivaji
      received from his mother since his childhood that
      moulded him into a jewel among Indian heroes.

      It is said that you cannot begin too early in training
      the individual. Also education without the true
      religion is a mere husk, the dead bare bones of
      culture. Moreover, the child-mind learns more from
      examples than from naked truth.

      Bearing all these points in vision, Sri Swamiji felt
      the absolute need for such a book for little children,
      as would help them to grasp the truths of ethical and
      spiritual culture in an easy manner. Himself being a
      firm believer in the truth that childhood is the
      foundation of the larger nations of the world, Swamiji
      has produced an excellent marvel to the young students
      of lower secondary and elementary schools in
      particular.

      This book contains lessons on practically all that a
      child has to understand in the beginning of his
      studies in life--lessons on divine truths, saints,
      sages, devotees, epics, Puranas, health, character,
      morality, general knowledge, Bhakti, Yoga, Sadhana,
      etc.

      We are sure that this wonderful guide-light to the
      real regeneration of education and culture of young
      boys and girls would find a necessary place in the
      curriculum of studies in all schools.

      For more information, please visit:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es34.htm

      CRITICS ANSWERED: If an editor of a magazine asked for
      one article, the Master would send four or five. He
      would say, "Even if they are not published, at least
      some of the editorial staff in charge of selection
      will go through them. I am satisfied even if one
      person reads the articles. If the editors like they
      may publish one from the five or six. Even then much
      good can be done to the public."

      Among the magazines to which the Master contributed,
      there were some which carried much undesirable reading
      matter. Critics remarked, "Why should Sivananda send
      articles to magazines containing advertisements on sex
      matters? This is not good."

      The Master replied, "I will continue to send articles
      to such papers first. The minds of those who read sex
      articles will be purified by going through spiritual
      articles. Spiritual lessons and sexual advertisements
      will occupy different pans of the same scale, and
      readers will one day find that the spiritual lessons
      weigh much heavier than the other pan. They will
      become spiritually inclined. Such readers will then
      preserve the pages on spiritual lessons for their
      repeated study. I try to change the mentality of
      atheists and agnostics. Others are already religious-
      minded. I need not struggle hard to change them."

      Subsequent events verified the wisdom and correctness
      of the Master's standpoint. There was a magazine from
      Madras, the My Magazine of India, which had a very
      large circulation not only in India, but also in
      Ceylon, Malaya, Burma and other countries. A reason
      for its popularity was the fact that with each issue
      the magazine carried many pages of romantic writing
      and many more pages of sex advertisements. Now,
      besides other journals, the Master chose this My
      Magazine, too, for contributing his articles. And when
      from 1931 onwards his powerful "Spiritual Lessons"
      began to appear regularly in its pages, not one or two
      or a dozen or a hundred, but literally thousands
      turned into avid readers of the Master's articles and
      became his students and devotees.

      "Dedicate your entire life to the Lord. He will surely
      look after you in every respect and you will have no
      more worries." - Swami Sivananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings & Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/