    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2010

      We have uploaded an article entitled "Cast Off This
      Ego" by Sri Swami Sivanandaji at:

      The following articles and book chapters were uploaded
      to Sri swami Krishnanandaji since my last update:

      1) From "True Spiritual Living":
      * Chapter 9: Handling Desires

      * Chapter 10: Preparation for Meditation

      * Chapter 11: Being Ready for the Practice

      * Chapter 12: Assessing Ourselves

      * Chapter 13: Sitting for Meditation

      * Chapter 14: Finding Time to Sit Alone

      * Chapter 15: Obstacles in the Practice

      * Chapter 16: Rising to the Mastery of the Soul

      2) From "Commentary on the Panchadasi":
      * Discourse 6: Chapter 1: Tattva Viveka -
      Discrimination of Reality (Verses 54-65)

      * Discourse 7: Chapter 2: Pancha Mahabhuta Viveka -
      Discrimination of the Elements (Verses 1-18)

      * Discourse 8: Chapter 2: Pancha Mahabhuta Viveka -
      Discrimination of the Elements (Verses 19-34)

      * Discourse 9: Chapter 2: Pancha Mahabhuta Viveka -
      Discrimination of the Elements (Verses 33-52)

      * Discourse 10: Chapter 2: Pancha Mahabhuta Viveka -
      Discrimination of the Elements (Verses 53-66)

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      Book Synopsis

      The Devi Mahatmya
      By Swami Sivananda

      The Devi Mahatmya or the Durga Saptasati is a unique
      book in this world. It is the base and the root of the
      religion of the Saktas. It is a Kamadhenu for one and
      all; it gives whatever man wants. It gives Bhakti in
      this world and Mukti afterwards. It is a powerful
      reservoir of Mantras from the beginning to the end.
      Every verse of this text is a dynamic force which acts
      powerfully in overhauling the nature of man.

      The conception of the Infinite as Mother is not an
      altogether meaningless one. The Rigveda bears
      testimony to the fact that even in such ancient times,
      there was the persistent belief that the Ruler is the
      All-compassionate Mother. Further, Mother is the
      personality that appeals most to the human heart, not
      so much the Father who is considered a hard task-
      master. Moreover the conception of the Divinity as
      Devi, Durga or Sri, is not merely a theory but a
      practical way of life. It is a particular view which
      cannot be set aside. It is as important as any school
      of religious belief, and is one of the most important
      reigning branches of Hindu religion--Vaishnavism,
      Saivism and Saktaism. Even a subtle philosopher cannot
      dispense with the conception of Sakti, for he is
      essentially an embodiment of Power, and he has love
      for power. The highest Intelligence and the most
      speculative metaphysics is only a manifestation of
      Jnana-Sakti and is not outside the range of Saktaism.
      Let us therefore adore and worship the Glorious Mother
      for the purpose of attaining Wisdom or Self-

      For more information, please visit:

      BACK FROM THE TOUR: From Delhi the Master arrived at
      Rishikesh. The people of the town had assembled at the
      railway station in large numbers. They presented the
      Master with many welcome addresses. In the crowd was
      one Banna Ram of Hardwar. He was seeing the Master for
      the first time and was rather struck by the praises
      heaped upon him. To his critical eye they appeared to
      border on flattery and exaggeration. He grew eager by
      the moment to see how the Master would, in his reply,
      deal with those high eulogies.

      Said Banna Ram later, "To my utter surprise, he gave
      no reply to the exalting addresses; he brushed them
      aside and began to sing his favourite Ram-Nam Dhun, in
      the same manner as we do when we feel the first shock
      of an earthquake. It seemed to me that his Holiness
      had felt the eulogies as earthquake shocks and so
      invoked the divine blessings of the Lord to save him
      from their effects. This magnanimity of character
      impressed me very much and thenceforth I began to
      study the divine virtues possessed by his Holiness
      with greater humility and reverence."

      "Too difficult is it to sacrifice the ego, but unless
      it is sacrificed, no vision of truth and no sight of
      God is possible of revelation. Sell away your lower
      self and purchase the Supreme Self. Withdraw your mind
      from justifying your position; serve your enemies;
      sacrifice all your rights if you wish to rule; love
      those who hate you; resist not if you wish to conquer;
      sacrifice all that you feel belongs to you. Seek
      nothing if you wish to have everything. Conquer
      yourself if you wish to have the Highest Freedom. Take
      no shelter under ego if you wish to be protected by
      the Supreme Power, the Almighty God." - Swami

      Other Sivananda related lists:
      1) Sivananda Daily Readings

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings & Thought for the Day

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works