    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2010
      Om Namah Sivaya!

      Tomorrow, February 12th, is the holy celebration of
      Mahasivaratri. There are several articles on our
      website on the significance of this festival. They
      are:

      1) Shivaratri by Sri Swami Sivanandaji at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/shivaratri.htm

      2) The Observance of Sivaratri by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_161.html

      3) Siva: The Mystic Night by Swami Krishnanandaji at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_03.html

      In addition, there is an article by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji on "Lord Siva" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/siva.htm

      Book Synopsis

      Lord Siva and His Worship
      By Swami Sivananda

      This is a most valuable and instructive book for the
      aspirants, particularly for the devotees of Lord Siva.
      It is full of instructions on practical Sadhana for
      attaining Siva-Tattva or God-realisation.

      The secrets of Siva Tandava, Sakti Yoga, etc., are
      very nicely presented. The translation of the Saiva
      Upanishads is a beautiful addition. The lives of Siva
      Acharyas, the Bhaktas and the Nayanars are inspiring
      and soul-stirring. A study of their lives will make
      one's life sublime and holy.

      Up to this time there has been no such presentation on
      this subject. The philosophical portion is highly
      illuminating and helpful to the readers. The book
      contains the essence of all Saiva Puranas. The book is
      written in a very lucid and clear style. It must be
      studied by all religious-minded persons as it is of
      solid worth from the spiritual point of view.

      For more information, please visit:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es95.htm

      DARSHAN OF GOD: Sri Jugal Kishore Birla of Delhi asked
      the Master, "Do you think it is possible to have
      Darshan of the Lord?"

      "Yes, yes. Certainly!" assured the Master. "The Lord
      danced with Mira and ate butter from her hands.
      Giridhar Gopal was a reality to her. To Sri
      Ramakrishna, Kali was more real than anything else in
      the world. He could talk to Her, eat with Her, play
      with Her and also get his doubts cleared by Her."

      This led to a further question, "Are these Avataras
      and these great experiences restricted to this country
      or are there Avataras in other lands, too, Swamiji?"

      The Master replied, "Why, Jesus was an Avatara of the
      Lord and so was Prophet Mohammed. So are the prophets
      of the different countries and religions. All of them
      are Avataras of the Supreme."

      The Master then repaired to that corner of Birla House
      where Mahatma Gandhi used to hold his prayer meetings,
      and conducted Kirtan at the spot where the Mahatma
      fell to the assassin's bullet. The next day he placed
      a wreath on Gandhiji's Samadhi at Rajghat and offered
      Dhupa, Deepa and Naivedya. Scores of casual visitors
      joined him in Kirtan and meditation.

      Later that day, the Master called on the Commander-in-
      Chief of the Indian army at the latter's residence.
      General Cariappa was at the entrance, and with an
      elegant military salute and a reverential bow, he
      welcomed him.

      The Master admired the discipline that pervaded the
      general's house. At the lunch table, the general and
      the Master both found in each other interesting and
      educative humorists. Before leaving, the Master did
      Sankirtan and sang his English Bhajans.

      That evening, while dining at another devotee's house,
      the Master noticed the presence of knives, spoons and
      forks.

      "I have never used these," he said. "I do not know how
      to use them either. I used to tell people during my
      lectures in several places that I was only a caveman
      who did not know the formalities and customs of
      civilised people."

      "Why should you learn these manners, Swamiji?" the
      Westernised Indian hostess asked. "We ought to learn
      from you to forget them."

      "Lord Siva is the God of Love. His grace is infinite.
      He is the Saviour and Guru. He is engaged in freeing
      the souls from the thraldom of matter. He assumes the
      form of Guru out of the intense love for mankind. He
      wishes that all should know Him and attain the
      blissful Siva-Pada. He watches the activities of the
      individual souls and helps them in their onward
      march." - Swami Sivananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings & Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/