    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 1999
      Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 22:04:53 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (47)

      A REBELLIOUS DISCIPLE: It happened in the forties that one
      Sivatantrananda, a Sannyasin disciple, was doing much useful work in the
      Ashram. He was a graduate, young and intelligent, but had the weakness of
      a puffed-up ego. The Master gave him, as he gave to other good workers, a
      cup of the best curd, several kinds of fruits and assorted cooked
      vegetables everyday. But this only thickened the disciple's egoism. He
      began to argue with the Master and contradict him on every matter, but the
      Master showered more love upon him and gave no indication of disapproval
      or dissatisfaction. This emboldened the wayward disciple still further.

      As the secretary of a special donation committee, Sivatantrananda came to
      have in his possession donations amounting to about Rs. 1,000. The
      Master, with trust in his disciple, had signed several proceedings of the
      committee without scrutinizing the contents. After it was found that the
      committee had authorized Sivatantrananda as its secretary, to call for
      funds and be solely responsible for their safe custody; and that any
      revocation of this rule required the meeting in one place of the committee
      members scattered all over India.

      The Master asked Sivatantrananda to hand over the records to the Ashram
      Secretary.

      "Swamiji," said the young man, "the Sivananda Ashram or its present
      officials have no connection with the special committee records. If the
      records are to be handed over to them, I want the authorization of all the
      committee members."

      The Master thought this to be due to the usual arguing mentality of
      Sivatantrananda. The next day he advised him a second time to hand over
      the records. But the disciple still maintained that the Master had no
      powers to ask him to do so. This happened on October 22, 1946.

      At the night Satsang, after the Bhajan was over, the Master thought aloud
      thus: "Here is a disciple in this Ashram who takes full advantage of its
      hospitality and nursing but feels derogatory to obey his Guru�s
      instructions. Will Lord Viswanath allow him to continue in this
      rebellious spirit?"

      The next morning Sivatantrananda was not to be found. Talking about the
      missing man's behaviour, the Master told some Ashram inmates, "I don't
      require the services of such an impertinent and disobedient disciple. He
      is neither useful to himself nor to God nor to society. Let me not see
      him again."

      A little later, Sivatantrananda reappeared, learnt of what took place in
      his absence and went to the Master to explain.

      "It is superfluous to listen to you any more," said the Master. "You may
      do as you please."

      The disciple went away, threatening legal action. The Master kept silent.

      Time passed. On November 3, 1946, the Master ascertained the whereabouts
      of his erring disciple and sent him Rs. 25 and a letter: "My dear
      Sivatantrananda whatever may be your differences with me, I hope that you
      will not commit the mistake of returning home to South India. You may
      find some suitable residence either in Rishikesh or higher up Ananda Kutir
      on the banks of the holy Ganges and stick to the path of renunciation. Be
      firm in your Sannyas Dharma." Such was the Master's heart!

      "Egoism is your enemy. Humility is the enemy of egoism. Therefore, make
      friendship with humility and kill egoism." - Swami Sivananda