  • pkanagar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2009

      Sri Swami Yogaswarupanandaji, Vice-President of the
      Divine Life Society HQ, is currently on a visit to
      Malaysia from 7-18th November. His programme can be
      viewed at:
      http://www.sivananda.org.my/events/yogaswarup2009.htm

      There is a Meditation & Yoga retreat with Swamiji on
      the 14&15th at Genting Highlands. Interested parties
      may contact the organisers on the possibility of
      registering at:
      http://www.sivananda.org.my/yogaregistration.htm

      We have uploaded an article by Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji titled "Forces of Samskaras". This
      illuminating article on the power of past
      actions/reactions in shaping ones current state is
      available at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/nov2009.htm

      A new book by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji titled
      "Religion and Social Values" has just been published.
      In this book Swamiji explains that religion and
      social life are not opposites, that they are actually
      two aspects of a single whole in which everything is
      included and must be recognised, not denied. Swamiji
      addresses the problems that are faced by people in
      the world, the cause of these problems, and the
      misconceptions that are generally held about religion
      and social values. Swamiji also gives some practical
      techniques of how to evolve spiritually while
      remaining in one's present circumstances. This book
      may be purchased from:
      http://www.dlshq.org/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?pid=EK26&exact_match=on

      The online edition is available at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/values.html

      Book Synopsis

      Brahma Sutras
      Sanskrit Text, English Translation and Commentary
      By Swami Sivananda

      It need not be over-emphasised that the Brahma
      Sutras, or the Nyaya-Prasthana of the triad of Indian
      Philosophical treatises hold supreme sway over the
      later rationalistic and scholastic developments.
      Right from the mighty brain of Sankara down to the
      master-intellects like Sriharsha, Chitsukha and
      Madhusudana, the main polemics have been occupied
      with the task of establishing the doctrine of
      Absolute Monism and refuting the views contrary to
      it, by appeal to logic as well as authority alike,
      which find their seeds already sown in the Brahma
      Sutras. The founder of a new religious and
      philosophical school had simply to write a new
      commentary on the Brahma Sutras so that his view may
      be accepted by the mass of people. Such is the
      authority of the Brahma Sutras, the work of
      Baadarayana.

      Commentaries there have been many on the Brahma
      Sutras, but either they are too short and
      insufficient to be useful for a comprehensive study
      of the Sutras, or are extremely tough and abstruse to
      be utilised by men of ordinary understanding. This
      work of Swami Sivananda is of a Unique type in
      itself, unrivalled by any other. This commentary is
      neither too short to be useless, nor too verbose to
      be unintelligible, but follows a via media course,
      useful to one and all, mainly the spiritual
      aspirants, who want thought, not mere word.

      Swamiji, in his own inimitable way, explains the
      Brahma Sutras to all aspirants of Truth dispelling
      all ignorance and doubts. In addition, he has given
      useful information which will not be found elsewhere.
      An elaborate introduction precedes the work, along
      with a short introduction and summary of the
      different Adhikaranas preceding each Pada. Each Sutra
      contains a word-by-word and a running translation.
      The text of the Brahma Sutras is included herein to
      enable the readers to do Svadhyaya and get them by
      heart for purposes of meditation.

      There is more information at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es22.htm

      IDENTIFICATION WITH ALL: The occasion was a benefit
      music recital by G. N. Balasubramaniam at the Gokhale
      Hall, Madras, in aid of the Kattupakkam Sivananda
      Seva Ashram. The Master had been requested to
      preside. At the end of the performance, he rose to
      speak. And once he began, he found it difficult to
      contain himself. Words came gushing out of his mouth
      in an unending stream.

      Referring to this phenomenon, he later said, "When I
      stand up to address a gathering, I identify myself
      with all. I become one with all. I love every member
      of the audience. I feel I must give them my heart,
      and all of it, without any reservation. Till I am
      satisfied that I have served them to my entire
      satisfaction, I cannot stop."

      "Every failure is a stepping-stone to success. Every
      difficulty or disappointment is a trial of your real
      faith. Every disease is a Karmic purgation. Every
      unpleasant incident is a test of your trust in God.
      Every temptation is a test of your spiritual
      strength. Therefore Nil Desperandum. Be ever bold and
      cheerful. March on courageously. Be sincere and
      earnest in all your endeavours. March forward like a
      hero." - Swami Sivananda

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/

      3) Sivananda Daily Readings & Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dlsmalaysia/

      4) Various Selections from Sivananda's Works
      http://www.sivananda.org/publications/mailinglists/subscribe.html