Birthday of Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj (2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2009

      Tomorrow (Sept. 8) is the holy occasion of worshipful
      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj's 122nd
      birthday anniversary. In celebration of this occasion
      we uploaded several articles on Gurudev. They are:

      1) "Practised Before Preaching" by Sri Swami Chidananda

      2) "Swami Sivananda's Philosophy" by Sri B.S. Mathur

      3) "Treatment of Visitors" by Sri Swami Venkatesananda

      Here is a little anecdote for our reflection on this
      sacred day.

      After Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra and Santi Path, Swamiji
      took photograph with the Malayan devotees and was
      coming back to his Kutir. On the way he noticed Swami
      C. standing in the hot sun without shoes or umbrella.

      Swamiji: O Ji Don't come without shoes in this hot
      sun. It is not good for your health.

      This is how Swamiji takes care of his disciples. By
      these actions he clearly proves that he is not only
      the Guru, but one's father and mother and, friend and
      relative, nay everything else.

      Swamiji was entering his Kutir. A person approached
      him and asked at what time he can have private talk
      with Swamiji.

      Just a word slipped from Swamiji, after a pause.

      Only on very very rare occasions Siva shows us his
      real Swaroopa, what he is in reality. Sivananda in
      reality is not the Sivananda as we see. He is not
      merely this 6 feet figure. He is the All-pervading
      Consciousness, the SIVA HIMSELF, and THAT which
      stands unchanged for ETERNITY. What, when, how and
      where can you talk to Him. He is the very LIGHT which
      makes you to talk and think. THAT LIGHT which is
      within you is SIVANANDA, in reality.

      Excerpted from "Sivananda Day to Day" by Swami