    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2009

      We have uploaded a discourse by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji titled "Light into the Darkness". In
      this discourse Swamiji impresses upon us the true
      purpose of Yoga. This article is at:

      The following commentaries of the Bhagavad Gita have
      been posted at Sri Swami Krishnanandaji's site:
      1) Discourse 25: The Eighth Chapter Continues - Types
      of Liberation
      2) Discourse 26: The Eighth Chapter Concludes - The
      Journey of the Soul After Death; The Ninth Chapter
      Begins - Rajyavidya
      3) Discourse 27: The Ninth Chapter Continues - The
      Greatness of God

      In addition, the following chapter on Religion and
      Social Values has been uploaded:
      1) Chapter 3: The Reason for Birth and Death

      The articles above can be accessed from:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      Book Synopsis

      Beauties of Ramayana
      By Swami Sivananda

      Srimad Ramayana is the very soul of India. The
      highest ideals of every Indian are enshrined and
      portrayed in this holy scripture. It is a complete
      guide to God-realisation, the path to which lies in

      Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj has, in this invaluable
      work, given the essence of Srimad Ramayana in a
      beautiful way. In his characteristic style, he has
      given the story and the morals in a simple, direct
      and lucid style.

      The lessons of Srimad Ramayana should be engraved on
      the tablet of everyone's heart. This is the urgent
      need of the hour. The evils of Kaliyuga need not make
      you despair. Where there is Ram, where there is Ram
      Nam, where there is Ramayana, the evils of Kali dare
      not enter. Build this spiritual fortress in your own
      heart; you will live in Rama Rajya. You will enjoy
      illimitable peace and bliss.

      Ramayana must be studied today, more than ever, by
      everyone. The ideals of man are beautifully portrayed
      in it. Everyone should emulate those ideals and grow
      into ideal citizens.

      May His Message spread! May God bless you all! May
      all people walk the path of Dharma! May Lord Rama be
      enshrined in the hearts of every man, woman and child
      in this holy land and the world at large!

      There is more information at:

      EYE RELIEF PROPAGANDA: During an eye relief camp, the
      Master came to the operation theatre. Dr Kailas Nath,
      a young Punjabi surgeon, was attending on a patient.
      Karina Karunakaran, an Indonesian aspirant, was
      assisting him.

      "The Drishti Dana Yajna Centre is a bit dull these
      days, I think," began the Master.

      "Yes, Swamiji," said the doctor, "so far in this
      Yajna we have operated on ten cases of cataract. All
      of them, thanks to your Grace and blessings, have
      been successful in spite of the patients' non-co-

      The Master was not quite satisfied. He almost gave a
      lecture, which at once revealed the intensity of his
      desire to serve and also his genius in organising.

      "I have been thinking why more and more people are
      not coming here daily. Except for the tom-tom and
      distribution of leaflets, we have not engaged in any
      intensive campaign to procure patients for the Yajna.
      What you should do is to go to Rishikesh, stand in a
      prominent place and deliver a lecture on the
      importance of keeping the eyes healthy and of
      preserving the eyesight. You should explain to the
      people the anatomy of the eyes and also give them
      some general hints on their care and hygiene. They
      will be benefited and get confidence in you also.
      They will then know that you are earnestly interested
      in serving them. They will flock to you.

      "You should not feel shy. You should boldly assure
      them: 'Come to me. I will restore your eyesight. I
      will give you new vision. I have so far cured ten
      people of cataract. People who were previously unable
      to see a huge elephant standing before them, are now
      able to thread a needle!' You should not feel that
      this is self-praise. You should even make a few
      slides describing the condition of the patient before
      your operation and after--how he arrived at the
      dispensary feeling his way with a stick, and how,
      after a few days he walked about cheerfully with his
      eyesight fully restored. You should also show a short
      reel of a movie-film depicting yourself conducting
      the operation.

      "Do not think that you are thereby praising yourself
      or boasting. You need not be afraid of criticism
      also. Let people criticise you or state that you are
      boastful and arrogant, but suffering people will
      flock to you. You can thus render a lot of service.
      That is what is wanted. You should always seek newer
      avenues of serving; you should find out novel methods
      of serving the public. This is aggressive Nishkama
      Karma Yoga. This is my method."

      "The world can only offer you what it has and what it
      is--it cannot offer you anything beyond. If you are
      searching for perfect happiness without any admixture
      of sorrow or suffering, you are looking for something
      that does not exist in this imperfect and limited
      world. The limited and finite things of the world are
      ever changeful and momentary. This world of names and
      forms outside of us is not permanent or lasting, but
      is non-eternal and transitory. Our own bodies are
      expressions of the transitory nature of life, as it
      is the nature of the body to pass through birth,
      childhood growth, disease, old age and eventually
      death." - Swami Chidananda

      Other Sivananda related lists:
      1) Sivananda Daily Readings

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day