    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2009

      We have uploaded an article by Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      titled "Adaptability, A Means To Peace" at:

      The following chapter has been uploaded to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji's site:
      Religion and Social Values - Chapter 2: The Mistake
      of Religions

      Our bookstore is currently having a book sale. The
      sale is only applicable for shipment within India and
      payment by mail (there is no discount for credit card
      orders). The details are as follows:

      FROM 1ST MAY 2009 TO 30TH SEPTEMBER 2009
      20% ON ORDERS UPTO RS. 300/-
      30% ON ORDERS UPTO RS. 1000/-
      35% ON ORDERS ABOVE RS. 1000/-

      40% Special Discount on the following Pictorial
      Volumes of Worshipful Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      and Worshipful Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      1. ES8 Glorious Vision
      2. ES4 Gurudev Sivananda
      3. EC70 Ultimate Journey
      4. EC71 Divine Vision

      You may place your order via our online store at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      Book Synopsis

      Bazaar Drugs

      Patent drugs were heavily guarded by trade secrets;
      and the "Grandmother's remedies" were denied the
      wings of publicity. The Common Man, the Poor Man, had
      access to neither. Therefore, he had to pay a heavy
      penalty in the form of money (if he purchased the
      costly patent drugs) or of his own life, often, if he
      could not afford the expenditure.

      From the very early days of his service to humanity,
      as a doctor, Sri Swami Sivananda (then Dr.
      Kuppuswami) had a burning passion to make available
      to all, the trade secrets of the few. As the Editor
      of "Ambrosia" in those days, he would publish cheap
      household remedies, easy, simple and cheap remedies
      for common ailments; and thus brought healing to all.

      After renouncing the world, embracing Sannyasa and
      rising by the acquisition of Self-knowledge to be a
      World Teacher, Swami Sivanandaji has revealed the
      humanitarian trait in all fields of knowledge--all
      secrets he has revealed, and he has placed within the
      reach of all the highest truths of Yoga and Vedanta.
      Never has he neglected to take the human body into
      account; and his books on health and healing are as
      popular as his works on Yoga and Vedanta. The present
      one bringing, as it does, health and healing to the
      very kitchen of every man, would, we are certain, be
      welcomed by all.

      There is more information at:

      PUBLICITY: As he was climbing the Viswanath temple
      hill in the Ashram together with the Master on the
      evening of November 2, 1946, one Sri Meshana asked,
      "Swamiji, why should there be the publication of the
      Divine Life magazine, the fixture of a post office
      and the sale of books to the public in this Ashram?
      Is this not a place for holy meditation?"

      The Master said, "What is to be done? In olden days,
      the Rajas used to supply the needs of Sannyasins by
      providing them periodically with the necessary food
      articles. Now nobody cares. We have to earn money to
      protect our bodies and also attend to our spiritual
      growth. We feed the public with the divine spoon and
      they feed us with the golden spoon. What is the harm
      in this?"

      Some visitors criticised the publicity apparatus of
      the institution.

      "If publicity is used for a selfish, worldly purpose,
      why should it not be used for a selfless, spiritual
      cause?" asked the Master. "It is on account of
      publicity that I am now able to serve lakhs of
      people. If without publicity I can serve five people,
      with it I can effectively serve five lakhs."

      "You should thank the one who draws attention to
      something in you, rather than being offended.
      Actually that person is doing you a great favour and
      service by giving you some knowledge about yourself
      which you, by yourself, have been unable to obtain."
      - Swami Chidananda.

      Other Sivananda related lists:
      1) Sivananda Daily Readings

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day