    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2009
      Om Sri Sankaracharyaya Namah!
      Om Sri Ramanujacharyaya Namah!

      April 29th is the holy appearance day of Sri
      Sankaracharya and Sri Ramunajacharya. In honour of
      this occasion we uploaded a discourse by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji on the Bhaja Govindam of Sri
      Sankaracharya. This discourse is at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/bhajagovindam.htm

      In addition, there are several articles on our
      website on Sri Sankaracharya and Sri Ramunajacharya.
      They are
      1) Sankara by Sri Swami Sivanandaji at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/sankara.htm

      2) Ramanuja by Sri swami Sivanandaji at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/ramanuja.htm

      3) Sankara: The Genius by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji
      at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_05.html

      April 25th was the 87th birthday anniversary of Sri
      Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj. In honour of Swamiji's
      birthday several items were uploaded to Swamiji's
      site. They are:
      1) Video: The Process of Samadhi
      2) Audios: The Problems of Spiritual Life
      3) E-book: Religion and Social Values - Chapter 1
      4) Discourse: Certain Problems of Philosophy
      5) Photos: Swamiji's visit in 1982 to his birthplace
      in Puttur

      These uploads can be accessed from:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/uploads.html

      Book Synopsis

      Autobiography of Swami Sivananda

      A saint's life is the ideal for all to emulate, a
      pattern for everyone who would make his own life
      sublime. It is an open book from which to learn the
      lessons of divine life. However much one tries to
      gain knowledge of spiritual truths from scriptures
      and texts, it is not until one actually sees someone
      in whom those truths shine exemplified that one is
      ready, willing and eager to realise those truths in
      actual daily life.

      That is the purpose that this inspiring book serves.

      There is more information at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/books/es9.htm

      DOUBTS CLEARED: Sri R. M. Karkare was a professor at
      the Vikram University, Gwalior. While staying for a
      short period at the Ashram, he began to wonder
      whether its inmates could not be more useful to
      society. He put his doubts on paper in the form of a
      letter to the Master:

      "I am thankful to you for the kind hospitality shown
      to me. I appreciate highly the various activities of
      your Ashram. I also attend Satsang and other
      programmes.

      "As regards the various books written by your good
      self, I have a vast number to go through. Because of
      what I have read during these days, I am full of
      great hopes that the world will be benefited through
      you.

      "Yet I have grave doubts regarding the large number
      of inmates here, who may not be doing any concrete
      service to humanity. How can there be any Self-
      realisation prior to self-effacement? Apart from
      their own Sadhana, would it not be better that these
      people chose a village where they could serve the
      needy in the various aspects of a villager's life?

      "By sitting idly here they are not serving the cause
      of the nation, though of course they might be doing
      something for the betterment of themselves.

      "This is not to criticise these souls living here--
      great men they are all, and whom I respect--but the
      thoughts which have crept into my mind are not
      leaving me, and an answer to them may kindly be given
      to relieve the burden of it."

      After handing over the letter to the Master, the
      professor continued to stay at the Ashram, attending
      the afternoon discourses and morning and night
      Satsang programmes. He thought that the Master would
      call him to dispel his doubts. When this did not
      happen, he felt that the Master might have taken it
      ill. But, to his considerable relief, on the fourth
      day, the Master sent him the following written reply
      through his secretary:

      "Self-realisation is the goal of everyone. And though
      the ultimate experience is universal and homogeneous,
      the approach is different in the case of different
      people. This is because, although the ultimate
      experience is possible only after the mind has ceased
      to function, Sadhana has to be done with the help of
      the mind. Minds and temperaments differ. Therefore,
      the approach to the Reality also differs.

      "The patriot who serves the country, the advocate and
      the doctor who serve society, the engineer, the
      professor, the scavenger and the motor driver--each
      one can attain Self-realisation without stepping out
      of the walk of life in which the Lord has placed him.
      As you have rightly put it, self-effacement is
      necessary before Self-realisation, and everyone has
      the privilege of choosing his own method of effecting
      this self-effacement.

      "The inmates of the Ashram are all engaged in the
      service of humanity. Work for the preservation of
      spiritual culture is as important, if not more, than
      work in other fields of service. As a matter of fact,
      if the emphasis is gradually shifted from the
      political to the spiritual standpoint, I think that
      there will be greater chances of the world enjoying
      peace. Viewed from that point, these Sannyasins are
      rendering a more fruitful service to the nation and
      to humanity at large than their brethren in other
      walks of life. There is practically no one in the
      Ashram here who is not in some way or the other
      taking part in the service which the Divine Life
      Society is rendering to mankind. Service is an
      essential part of the daily routine of the aspirants
      here.

      "But this is not to say that unless the aspirant or
      Sannyasin engages himself in spectacular service he
      is a great and unproductive burden on society. There
      will always be introverts of the extreme type who
      might not engage themselves in any activity, but
      would spend all their time in introspection, self-
      analysis and Bhajan. They also are necessary. They
      apparently do nothing to the world at large, but they
      render an inestimable service to humanity by
      preserving one aspect of spiritual culture--the
      introvert aspect. They carry on the tradition of the
      Virakta Sannyasin who, through the rugged path of
      negation of the world itself, crosses this formidable
      ocean of worldliness. They are the beacon-lights to
      other lesser evolved souls of their type, who would
      otherwise get lost in the unchartered sea of Sadhana.

      "Everyone who sincerely aspires for Self-realisation,
      whatever be the path he chooses, whatever he
      sincerely does towards the achievement of the goal,
      is rendering a distinct service to the world at
      large. He throws out a challenge to those who feel
      that only sensual enjoyment is pleasure, and who
      believe in the solid reality of the world and worldly
      associations. Through sincere Sadhana and self-
      discipline you will be able to attain Self-
      realisation wherever you are."

      Thus concluded the Master, and his apt answers to the
      points raised by the professor were well received.

      "The first step that you have to take in the practice
      of sadhana, or the learning of the art of spiritual
      living, is to understand what that first step is.
      Everyone knows that the first step cannot be the
      second step; it has to be the first only. But what is
      the first step? The first step is the very condition
      in which you are now." - Swami Krishnananda.

      2) Sivananda's Thought for the Day
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SivanandasThoughtForTheDay/