    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2009
      Om Namah Sivaya!

      February 23rd is Mahasivaratri. The significance of
      this festival has been explained by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji in his book "Hindu Fasts and Festivals".
      This article has been posted at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/shivaratri.htm

      In addition, there is an article by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji on "Lord Siva" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/siva.htm

      There is also a Mahasivaratri message by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji titled "Siva: The Mystic Night" at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_03.html

      The February issue of the DLS Journal has been posted
      at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/magazine/e-magazine.shtm

      The table of contents is listed below:

      Articles:
      1) Philosophy of Siva Tandava by Swami Sivananda
      2) Divine Life by Swami Chidananda
      3) The Search For Truth by Swami Krishnananda
      4) Many Facets of Identity by Swami Shivapremananda
      5) Changing Our Angle of Vision by Swami
      Atmaswarupananda
      6) Yoga For Health: Bhastrika by Swami Chidananda
      7) Brahmacharya and Urdhvareta Yogi by Swami
      Sivananda
      8) Sivananda's Gospel of Divine Life
      9) Children's Page: What Is Your Relationship To God
      by Swami Ramarajyam

      News:
      1) Seva Through Sivananda Home
      2) Cultural Tour of H.H. Sri Swami Vimalanandaji
      Maharaj, President, The Divine Life Society
      3) Cultural Tour of H.H. Sri Swami Padmanabhanandaji
      Maharaj, General Secretary, The Divine Life Society

      There was an important request by Sri Swami
      Vimalanandaji in the above-mentioned magazine. I am
      reproducing the same below.

      AN IMPORTANT REQUEST FOR DEVOTEES
      SHARE YOUR MEMORIES ABOUT SRI SWAMI CHIDANANDAJI
      MAHARAJ!
      Following the earnest requests from so many noble
      souls we have started collecting details regarding
      any interesting incidents, memories or experiences
      which anyone has had with our beloved and Worshipful
      Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj. Those who would like
      to share any kind of information in this regard may
      kindly send their narrative, preferably typed, to the
      Ashram by the end of March 2009. We gratefully
      appreciate if it could be sent as early as possible.
      You may also send it as an attachment through e-mail
      address to: generalsecretary@... by
      mentioning the subject as "Sharing my memories with
      Swami Chidananda". Those who prefer to send the
      matter by post may mention on their envelope "Sharing
      my memories with Swami Chidananda" and send it to:
      The President,
      The Divine Life Society,
      Shivanandanagar-249 192,
      Dist. Tehri-Garhwal,
      Uttarakhand,
      INDIA.

      EXTRACTING WORK "Do not overwork. Make other people
      work," the Master told Jyotirmayananda, a senior monk
      in the Ashram, on June 28, 1956.

      "You should extract work through kindness, love and
      sympathy. To extract work from others is not very
      easy. It demands reduction of egoism. You should put
      yourself on a lower level and praise them, sing their
      glory and respect them. You should adapt, adjust and
      accommodate. You should become one with them."

      "The dance of Lord Siva is for the welfare of the
      world. The object of His dance is to free the souls
      from the fetters of Maya, from the three bonds or
      impurities of Anava, Karma and Maya (egoism, action
      and illusion). He is not the destroyer, but He is the
      regenerator. He is the Mangala-data and Ananda-data,
      bestower of auspiciousness and bliss. He is more
      easily pleased than Lord Hari. He grants boons
      quickly, for a little Tapas (austerity) or a little
      recitation of His five letters (Om Namah Sivaya)." -
      Swami Sivananda.