    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008

      October 28 (or 27 depending on the location) is
      Deepavali (meaning row of lights). The significance
      of this festival has been explained by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji in his book "Hindu Fasts and Festivals".
      This article has been posted at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/deepavali.htm

      We have also posted a discourse on this occasion by
      Sri Swami Chidanandaji. The title of this discourse
      is "Can We Rejoice Always?" and is at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/rejoice.htm

      A question and answer session with Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji on the subject of "Yoga and the Need
      for a Guru" has been posted at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_133.html

      Revered Sri Swami Vimalanandaji has been elected as
      the President of the Divine Life Society. Swamiji is
      a direct disciple of Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      and has been in service of Gurudev and Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji for many years. The announcement has
      been posted at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/misc/ImportantAnnouncement.shtm

      EXTERNAL FORMALITIES: On 3rd of October, 1949, Sri
      Subramaniam, an honorary worker in the Ashram, was
      coming on a bicycle. He saw the Master emerging from
      his cottage. At once he alighted, took off the towel
      which he had wound around his head and adjusted his
      dhoti.

      The Master smiled and said, "All these formalities
      are unnecessary for me. Love and respect have their
      seat in the heart; you should have love and reverence
      for elders in your heart. That I will know. These
      external formalities do not have much significance
      for me."

      And he further continued, "You are going about in the
      hot sun making purchases at Rishikesh and supervising
      the construction work. Do not hesitate to take all
      that you need. You must have a cold drink now and
      half an hour later you should take a hot drink. If
      you feel like taking some fruit in the bazaar, don't
      hesitate. You need not submit any bill even. You have
      full liberty to do everything to keep your body in
      perfect health."

      "To be true to our own self, we must be what we are.
      Therefore, shine! Let your life be an effulgence.
      Make it impossible for darkness to prevail. All
      negativity is darkness." - Swami Chidananda