    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 1999
      Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 15:37:31 -0600 (CST)
      From: KANAGARATNAM <pannir@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (44)

      October '97
      Blessed Immortal Atman!
      Beloved Sadhaks and spiritual seekers,

      May the grace of the Divine Mother, that primal, transcendental, supreme
      Cosmic Power be upon you all now and throughout your life. May this
      Supreme Power manifest within you as the inner spiritual strength to
      overcome all obstacles that stand between you and your noble mission of
      living an ideal life and attaining God-experience. May the divine Cosmic
      Power manifest within you as Dharma (righteousness) and Adhyatma (the
      principle of Self). This is my wish and prayer during this period when we
      are all engaged in adoring and worshipping the Divine Mother of the
      universe for nine nights in succession. It is a period of fervent worship
      that culminates in the joyful victory of the positive forces of Light over
      all the negative forces of Darkness. It is a day of joyful celebrations
      and rejoicing especially in Bengal, where they call it the day of Vijaya
      (victory). The inner movement of spiritual life really constitutes such an
      ascent of consciousness from the lower and the lesser levels of the gross
      aspects of the human nature into progressively higher levels, subtler and
      purified states of thought, speech and action. It is an upward movement
      onto Sattva Guna, godly qualities and a spiritlialised vision of life. May
      all our prayers at the feet of the Divine Mother of the universe during
      these nine days be mainly for the successful attainment of this higher
      goal of spiritual perfection in our life. May we not ask Her for anything
      paltry or for petty objects of this earthly plane when She is capable of
      bestowing upon us our Supreme Welfare and our highest good. Why ask for
      small things when she is capable of blessing us with the greatest of all

      Beloved Atman, this year, the year of our Independent India's Golden
      Jubilee, a significant coincidence is worthy of note. Namely, the
      commencement of the annual worship for the Mother coincides with the date
      of worshipful Bapu Mahatma Gandhi's birthday anniversary i.e. 2nd October.
      Bapuji's entire life was a determined struggle to free our country from the
      shackles of alien domination. Fortunately in his own life he had the
      satisfaction of seeing this goal attained. But, today after a half century
      of our Independence, our country as well as our people have strayed away
      from the noble ideals and principles which Bapuji had placed before us as
      inheritors of a precious heritage and way of life at once lofty and
      sublime. Ruler and the ruled alike seem to have decided to regard their
      country as well as themselves as a political entity and a political way.
      What would be more regrettable than a spiritual country having the Wheel of
      Dharma as its symbol abandoning the spiritual vision, setting aside the
      ideals of Dharma as something belonging within the holy scriptures, no more
      applicable in our present times. Emphasis has been shifted from Man to
      matters and to money only as a Supreme value. Turning away from the Light
      we are moving towards darkness. Turning away from the Great Reality we are
      running after temporary unrealities and instead of making our life an
      upward path towards immortality and ever lasting life, we are speeding
      downwards towards perdition. This dire downward movement must be arrested
      and the nation must turn right-about and recover its great heritage.

      This is the task before India and both its citizens as well as people in
      positions of power. It is in this context that a common Code of Conduct for
      the whole Nation becomes an invaluable factor and force for change in the
      right direction. An aimless and directionless society may be full of a
      great deal of activity but it will neither attain any worthwhile objective
      nor will it reach any high destination. It may amass trifles that sparkle
      for a brief duration and soon pass away. It may accumulate brass and tinsel
      which, in ultimate analysis, prove to be of very little value or worth. It
      is verily like throwing away the precious pearls and retaining a heap of
      empty oyster shells. But, quite different it is with a people and a nation
      that has a great and noble ideal before it for living and striving after.
      Different it is with that society and that country that has an aim and an
      objective before it to strive after and to live for. The higher the aim and
      nobler the objective, the greater and more admirable that country and its
      people become in the eyes and estimation of other countries and other
      sections of human society in our global human family. Such a nation and its
      citizens earn a place of respect for themselves in the commonwealth of
      world nations. Such a country and its people and its culture are found
      worthy of emulation. Our motherland (Bharatavarsha) has all the potential
      to occupy such a place of dignity and respect in the assembly of nations of
      this eventful 20th Century and this momentous juncture of its moving
      towards the dawn of the 21st Century.

      Our world, traumatised by decades of hostility, enmity, mutual hatred,
      distrust, violence and horrific wars that have left destruction,
      devastation, desolation and unimaginable agony and grief in countless
      bereaved and broken hearts, is panting for relief. Wrecked by this human
      tragedy, our contemporary humanity is looking with longing eyes at the
      approaching 21st Century. It has great expectations. But, at the same time
      it has grave misgivings and trepidation due to the all out manufacturing of
      nuclear weapons that have now megatons scale capability of wiping out all
      life from the surface of our planet and destroying and devastating the
      entire earth by deadly nuclear radiation with its terrible after effects.
      In this situation what can we, the citizens of mother India, who are the
      descendants of the ancient Rishis of Divine Enlightenment, the great seers
      of illumined wisdom, offer as a solution, as a light in the darkness to our
      brethren of our human family worldwide? What can we contribute to give a
      positive and a creative way out of this prevailing state? Can we, as a
      nation and a people effectively help in fulfilling the hopes and the
      realisation of the dreams of humanity for the 21st Century? Our leaders,
      our political high priests in places of power and authority must answer
      this question. They must give a lead. They must take the right direction
      and make the people follow them, that our country may play its part in the
      process of healing the hurts of the earlier part of the century and taking
      the country towards a destiny of global welfare, human unity, brotherhood
      and harmony. Then and then only can our country truly be said to be the
      Land of Peace, the Land of Gautama Buddha, whose message of "Maitri"
      (friendliness) and "Karuna" (compassion) spread into far off lands in the
      Golden age of emperor Ashoka. Then indeed we would be worthy of being
      called the heirs and the successors of Mahatma Gandhi who lived, worked and
      laid down his very life for peace, amity, harmony, brotherhood and unity.

      All this and more we can be and should be if we strictly adhere to and
      abide by the National Code of Conduct that has been formulated and has been
      proclaimed throughout the length and breadth of India over these past four
      years. Therefore I call upon each and every one of you to please go on
      doing everything that you can to bring this National Code of Conduct to
      each and every man, woman and child all over our country in all the
      languages prevailing in India.

      Thank you and may God bless you.

      May you prosper and may India prosper and together may we make the world
      prosper and be full of peace, unity and brotherhood.

      Om Shantih.
      Yours in Peace and Joy.
      Swami Chidananda
      (A servant of the Master Swami Sivananda)

      The National Code of Conduct can be found at

      THE LORD�S DARSHAN: After giving sweetmeats, etc., to some of his
      disciples, including Swami X., the Master asked her, "What else do you

      She replied, "Lord�s Darshan (vision)."

      The Master remarked, "Is the Lord�s Darshan such a simple matter? How
      much impurities are still to be removed! Go and do Sirshasana (headstand)
      right in the Ganges for one hundred years, then we shall look into the

      "Every intelligent person, if he considers the problem, realises that
      through the attainment of birth as a human being some exceptional gain
      must accrue to us. Food, drink, sleep, the joy of procreation and other
      forms of worldly enjoyments can be gained even in lower forms of life,
      like that of beasts and insects. If the life of a human being is wasted
      only in the attainment of this joy, what do we achieve through the human
      birth? The supreme goal of human life is to gain that incomparable and
      true happiness, the like of which there is nothing in the world. That
      happiness is the realisation of the Self." - Swami Sivananda