    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19 10:47 PM

      Tomorrow, July 18, is the holy occasion of Guru
      Purnima. In honour of this occasion, we uploaded an
      article by Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji titled "Guru
      and Disciple". It touches on the relationship between
      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji and his Guru, Sri Swami
      Visvanandaji. This article is at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jul2008.htm

      In addition, a discourse delivered by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji during Guru Purnima in 1992 titled
      "The Power of Self-Restraint" has been posted at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_126.html

      For more information about Guru Purnima, please see:
      1) "Guru Purnima" by Sri Swami Sivanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/guru_purnima.htm

      2) "Veda Vyasa: The Paragon of Power and Wisdom" by
      Sri Swami Krishnanandaji:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_08.html

      There is a letter by Revered Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      Maharaj and senior Swamijis for the recent 60 year
      Diamond Jubilee Celebration of the Yoga-Vedanta
      Forest Academy (29th June - 3rd July, 2008) at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/dls/ashram/yvfa_dj2.shtm

      We have uploaded a few articles since my last e-mail
      in April. They are:
      1) "The Lofty Ideal Of Renunciation" by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jun2008.htm

      2) "Vedanta is Living Experience" by Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/may2008.htm

      3) "Thoughts to Ponder" by Sri Swami
      Shivapremanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/apr2008.htm

      There have also been quite a few uploads to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji's site such as: "The Message of
      Acharya Sankara", "The Story of the Descent of Ganga
      to Earth" and "Swamiji Answers Questions on Illusion,
      Karma and Rebirth". These can be accessed from:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/uploads.html

      BE STILL: A Sanskrit professor from Gwalior arrived
      at the Ashram. He had gone through the Master's book
      on Brahmacharya and had benefited greatly. He
      referred to the book, Conquest of Mind. The Master
      gave a copy to the professor, who said that it would
      help him greatly in guiding a student doing his
      thesis for a doctorate.

      "Are you my professor or student?" asked the Master.

      "You are my professor; I am your student," came the
      reply.

      "Head of department, sir!"

      "There, not here!"

      As the Master got up from his seat and began to move
      slowly through the devotees lining his path, a
      visitor burst out with a few lines from Thayumanavar:
      "O Lord, give me that state where the mind melts,
      where acts cease, where all is quiet".

      "Yes, be still, be quiet," said the Master. "But let
      the hands be working. Give the mind to God and the
      hands to work. Quiet within, active without. Be a
      witness of the world-show."

      And slowly the Master wended his way back to his
      quarters, muttering prayers and Mantras. At the
      entrance to his cottage, he took leave of the
      devotees with folded palms and short prayers from the
      different religions.

      "From a doctor, you get a prescription. From two
      doctors, you get consultation. From three doctors,
      you get your own cremation. Even so, if you have many
      Gurus, you will be bewildered. You will be at a loss
      to know what to do. One Guru will tell you: "Do Soham
      Japa." Another will tell you: "Do Japa of Sri Ram." A
      third Guru will tell you: "Hear Anahata sounds." You
      will be puzzled. Stick to one Guru and follow his
      instructions. Listen to all, but follow one. Respect
      all, but adore one. Gather knowledge from all, but
      adopt the teachings of one Master. Then you will have
      rapid spiritual progress." - Swami Sivananda