    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2008
      Om Sri Saravanabhavaya Namah!

      Today (January 23) is the holy celebration of
      Thaipusam. This is the day that the lance (Vel) was
      given to Lord Shanmukha by His mother to battle the
      demoniac forces. This festival is very popular among
      the Tamil community in South India as well as
      countries such as Malaysia, Singapore and Mauritius.
      In honour of this occasion, we uploaded an article on
      Thaipusam by Sri Swami Sivanandaji. We also uploaded
      an article on Lord Shanmukha from Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji's book "Hindu Gods and Goddesses". These
      articles are at:

      1) Thaipusam:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/thaipusam.htm

      2) Lord Shanmukha
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/shanmukha.htm

      The January 2008 issue of the Divine Life magazine
      has been posted at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/dls/magazine/2008/jan-2008.shtm

      The latest issue has a New Year Message from Sri
      Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj. This is at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/misc/newyear/chidananda2.shtm

      Some of the articles in the latest issue are:
      1) Science of the Self--The Only Bestower of
      Happiness by Sri Swami Sivananda
      2) Positive and Negative Conditions in Life by Sri
      Swami Chidananda
      3) The Search for Truth by Sri Swami Krishnananda
      4) A Guide to Meditation by Sri Swami Shivapremananda
      5) Overcoming Circumstances by Sri Swami
      Atmaswarupananda
      6) Humility by Sri Swami Ramarajyam
      7) The Environment from a Scientific Angle by Sri
      Gaurhari Mishra
      8) Makarasana by Sri Swami Chidananda

      RECOLLECTIONS: The Master always laid the greatest
      emphasis on the care of one's health. On this subject
      he spoke to his disciples one day in the late
      forties: "Money or no money, you must take care of
      your body. If you do not look after this instrument
      of the Lord, then you are not worshipping Mother
      Durga properly. The best worship of Durga is to
      maintain this body in a proper condition to enable it
      to work out His Will in the best possible manner."

      Speaking thus, the Master sank into memory of his
      Swarg Ashram days and compared the austerities that
      he had then practised with the amenities that he was
      now enjoying at Ananda Kutir.

      "When I was at Swarg Ashram, I never touched oil. Now
      I must keep several kinds of oils. All the cells of
      my body are vibrating so fast that there is intense
      heat. When I was at Swarg Ashram, I slept on the
      floor, but now I have a comfortable bed; this is
      essential for the work that has to be turned out. I
      do roughen the body sometimes; and, for the sake of
      keeping up the austerity I rub it against the walls.
      But often I do not have time even for this. There is
      work to do.

      "You are all gigantic brain-workers. Selfless service
      has a greater and more pressing demand on you now.
      All that your body needs you must give it. You have
      practised enough austerity. If you go on in the same
      fashion, your body will break down; you will become
      useless. You must take nutritious food. You must have
      barrels of fruit juice. Now I have twenty bottles of
      various medicines--some for my diabetes, some for my
      stomach, etc. I have different things for cleaning
      the teeth--mouth gargle, tooth-powder, etc."

      "Lord Shanmukha is the Pratyaksha Devata (visible
      God) of this Kali Yuga. He is readily pleased with
      His devotees to whom He grants both Bhukti and Mukti
      (enjoyments here and Moksha hereafter). Millions are
      still living who can narrate instances in their own
      life to show the miracles brought about by
      propitiation of Lord Shanmukha." - Swami Sivananda