    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2007

      Tomorrow (November 8) is the holy Hindu festival of
      Deepavali. There are several articles on our website
      about the significance of this festival. They are:

      1) Deepavali by Sri Swami Sivanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/deepavali.htm

      2) The Yajna-Quintessence of the Culture of India by
      Sri Swami Krishnanandaji
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/fest/fest_16.html

      In addition, we recently uploaded a message by
      Revered Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj titled "The
      Significance of Dipavali" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/nov2007.htm

      There is also a new upload to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj's site on the subject of the
      recently concluded Navaratri celebration. The article
      entitled "Navaratri--The Worship of Mahadevi" is at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_108.html

      THE MASTER ON HIMSELF: The date was the 23rd of
      March, 1947. A disciple was conversing with the
      Master regarding the Master's spiritual growth.

      "What were the earliest indications Swamiji Maharaj
      had of his spiritual mission?"

      "I did not have any indication either in my mind or
      outside of any spiritual mission."

      "When and under what circumstances did this intense
      desire of helping mankind grip Swamiji?" was the next
      question put by the disciple.

      "This is my very nature. From early boyhood I took an
      unaccountable pleasure in serving others. This was
      only developed further during the Sannyas life."

      "Did Swamiji have any kind of premonition as to who
      his Diksha Guru would be? What were Swamiji's
      feelings upon coming face to face with his Guru?"

      "I had absolutely no premonition. I met my Guru, Sri
      Swami Viswanandaji, on the banks of the Ganges the
      first day I came to Rishikesh, and he took me to his
      cottage. I went for alms to the Kalikamliwala alms-
      house but they refused to give me food as I was not a
      Sannyasin. While walking back after this refusal, the
      elderly monk, Swami Viswanandaji, met me on the way
      and straightaway felt the urge to initiate me into
      Sannyas. On that day itself I was given the ochre
      cloth by him."

      The disciple questioned further, "What were the
      factors that guided Swamiji during the course of his
      Sadhana? Was the nature of his Sadhana determined by
      his Guru or by personal enquiry, inner voice or
      intuitional impulses?"

      "I told you how I got Sannyas. The very next day
      Swami Viswanandaji started for Hardwar. He did not
      have any time to give me instructions in my Sadhana.
      He wrote to me from Hardwar, giving instructions
      about the Sannyas Dharma. During my Sadhana my own
      discretion guided me at every step. I was conscious
      that I was proceeding in the right direction."

      "What were the outstanding landmarks or particular
      spiritual experiences during the Sadhana period?"

      "I did not have any outstanding spiritual experiences
      during my Sadhana period. There were no external or
      internal obstructions in the progress of my Sadhana.
      That was the only outstanding feature. I made
      meditation-deep meditation-the keynote of my inner
      Sadhana. It gave smooth and continuous progress and
      rapid arrival at the ultimate experience."

      "Can Swamiji be pleased to give out the place and
      date of the final illumination?" the disciple made
      bold to ask. The Master answered promptly, "The
      Upanishads are positive on that subject. None should
      talk of the place and date of illumination. If anyone
      says that he got illumination at such a place and on
      such a date, it is not proper, I can't believe him.
      It is a secret of God. I cannot divulge it."

      "Each year the festival of lights (Deepavali) is held
      during the darkest night. It comes as an annual
      reminder of what you have to do--banish darkness,
      bring in light, be full of light and revel in the
      Illumination. Fill yourself with the Light. Fill the
      whole world with light by your own being in it." -
      Swami Chidananda